<gloom>

Not all though and outside of the classic car fraternity who are very much a minority, I'll wager that the majority of survivors from the 60's and 70's are landies and being driven for practicality not show.

Reply to
Larry

Larry uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I thought the stats were 75 % of all oil put in to Landies was still on the road... but I could be wrong ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

->->

->> They were only after V8's....nothing else. Odd huh? I bet they cut the bit

->> where I say it's the same engine as the BMW 7 series....

->>

->

->I'll bet - pointing out that many saloon cars use far more fuel doesn't

->fit in with the politics of evny.

Another week and another article on insideout about 4x4's and offroading, I assume someone in their production office has a axe to grind, and they never let a good balanced argument get in the way of their agenda.

Reply to
Geoff

Well...anyone see it? It wasn't as unbalanced as I had suspected it might be - although some salient points I made were omitted.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

->Well...anyone see it? It wasn't as unbalanced as I had suspected it might

->be - although some salient points I made were omitted.

I didn't see it but if they didn't show your salient points how could it be balanced ?

How many of the yoghurt knitters points were omitted ?

Reply to
Geoff

On or around Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:16:47 +0000, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

ISTR a figure that half the pollution produced during the lifetime of a typical car is in the production process.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:28:00 +0000 (UTC), Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

yeah, I liked that.

I wonder what she'd think of my "other" 4x4 - the 2.8 sierra estate. If driven hard, it produces fuel consumption that makes a series LR look good. 's got one of they fuel computers - the lowest instantaneous figure I've seen on it was 4 mpg (albeit with the engine cold) and you have to drive very steadily and carefully to get more than about 28 average.

Previous owner clocked the MPG on the motorway at a steady speed - 90 mph gave 19 mpg, 110 mph gave 14 mpg.

drive it hard across country and it's closer to 14 as well. The 3.5 disco managed about 18 mpg driven reasonably sensibly...

But of course, the sierra 's not a "4x4", it's a "normal car"...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No, that prog is regional init. If you recorded it I can rip and encode it to go with the others at

Was she pretty?

Reply to
Mother

In message , Austin Shackles writes

:)

So my old series could save the planet :)

Mind you, I also have a van and 2 other cars....................................

Reply to
mark

...and mark spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Interesting anti-car propaganda (and a lot of food for thought), but get this -

FFS! In the UK, a car is usually cheaper than the train for just one person, never mind four.

Remember when Clarkson did the stunt of buying a car (a Grandad, ISTR) with tax and MoT, and drove it to Newcastle, for LESS than the cost of the train fare?

Plus a car has the advantage that you don't have to sit for hours in the close company of two smelly winos and a mother with six noisy kids unless you choose to do so.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I'm astonished at the current level of UK rail fares where (for example) Virgin are now allowed to charge just over =A3200 for an open return from Manchester to London. Branson clearly hasn't got any sort of green agenda, whatever his ex-hippie credentials may lead one to believe, and the present Govt., which allows this to happen, doesn't care one jot about sustainable development either.

- Tom.

Reply to
Thos

Quote from said website:

"A roundtrip from Hamburg to Munich (1552 km) cost 323 euros by car, 48 euros less than by car. (And that includes transport costs to the train station and from the train station to the final destination in town.) These figures are probably easily transferrable to other European countries, less so to the United States, where fuel is still artifically cheap"

First of all, i cant work out which "CAR" is a typo in that first comparison. secondly, fuel in US is not artificially cheap, rather, it is artificially expensive in UK, and to a lesser extent here in Australia. all americans i speak to can't believe how much we pay for fuel (close to double) and us Aussies can't believe how much you Brits pay for fuel (almost double again).

Reply to
Samuel

Yes but are you factoring in 13 mpg for a thirsty landie ?

I reckon it is still cheaper for me to go to London by train, quicker and more convenient. But then London is not exactly the right environment for landies anyway.

Reply to
Larry

Blimey. I wonder what the figures are for those hybrid cars with all their nasty electronics and battery gear.. I've never felt those hybrids to be worth the trouble, especially when they only get a few more MPG than my 8-year-old 1.9 diesel audi.

Diesel pollution is supposedly mostly local too, more so than petrol, so can be controlled by local statutes, affecting the other side of the world less than petrol. Diesels are supposed to be better for Co2, Co and possibly NOx, about the same for hydrocarbons but worse for particulates which have a mostly localised effect. So a diesel might kill your neighbours but not the rest of the population ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

To be fair, that was the "standard" fare, which you'd not normally have to pay if you booked ahead (though you shouldn't have too in by book, but that's another story), so it was the usual Clarksonesque type of report.

You've not had a lift off us then!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I'm amazed we have a railway at all! Without wanting to start another debate, just on simple little fact tells the story of why railways are so expensive - the railway is responsible, i.e. has to pay, for *all* the fencing beaside the lines. For roads the land owner is responsible. In 1983 that cost the railway £20m a year.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Bad form to answer your own question, but I'd certainly buy her a drink if she invested in a decent bra and some lippie...

Anyway, pseudo-misogyny apart, the clip is available here:

59.1MB
Reply to
Mother

->Bad form to answer your own question, but I'd certainly buy her a

->drink if she invested in a decent bra and some lippie...

->

I think she needs to have a good hard look at her rather sectarian views.

"Do you not have anything you really want ?"

"Yes but I have self control"

How sanctimonious san you get !

Well done tho Neil, pity about the parking out side the school tho ;-)

Reply to
Geoff

Geoff,

When I got there *the first time* I could park .... but after after about

100 passes the spaces got less and less and smaller and smaller.....so er... yeah ;-) It's TV don't you know ;-)

*Normally* when parking is like that (i.e. I am 20 minutes late to drop off!) I park about 500 yards away in the leisure centre carpark (which we have (as parents) permission to!) - they wanted busy!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

->Geoff,

->

->When I got there *the first time* I could park .... but after after about

->100 passes the spaces got less and less and smaller and smaller.....so er...

->yeah ;-) It's TV don't you know ;-)

Be grateful you only had to do it 100 times, bet that upset the greenpeace bird, all that fuel.

->*Normally* when parking is like that (i.e. I am 20 minutes late to drop

->off!) I park about 500 yards away in the leisure centre carpark (which we

->have (as parents) permission to!) - they wanted busy!

You should have done that to prove a point.

Reply to
Geoff