GPS

A GPS Mouse is a GPS Reciever in a mouse type package that connects to a PDA, Laptop etc via a cable, e.g.

It would not work with a GO unit which has a built-in GPS receiver. if you have signal reception problems with the Go then you need either the external antenna accessory, see
or an GPS Re-radiating antenna, see
.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Is there software that can make a laptop do this?

I like the tomtom as I saw a demo of how it works and I like that, it's also going to be easy to mount and use. but I'd like the detail level of memory-map.

I like the laptop as it'll show me the detail level of memory-map but mounting it will be a problem.

I am considering using both, depending on the cost of memory-map and a gps mouse thingy.

I don't so much need the memory-map to give me directions, more to show me exactly where I am on an OS map, how accurate is GPS on a memory map thingamijig?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

GPS mouse. Can you suggest one that I can hard-wire to a 12 volt supply on my dashboard that will talk to my laptop wirelessly?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Can I connect the tomtomgo to a laptop to provide a positioning signal to the laptop for use on memory-map?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Most of them.

The 12V charging interface is separate to the data interface and you are effectively just leaving it on charge.

Have a look at

for some ideas - they actuallysell the bits to do that. P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Mr.Nice. wrote:> Can I connect the tomtomgo to a laptop to provide a positioning signal

No :(

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Yes, InfoMap Navigator does all this for less than £50 and CoPilot Laptop is the Rolls Royce solution for considerably more, see

GPS is accuracte to approx 10m or so given a good fix.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Only one designed to be used in this way, i.e. hard wired to 12v with Bluetooth signal tranmission, the Deluo Blackbox datalogger, see

however there are a few BT GPS that could be connected permanently to an ignition controlled 12v source so long as you retain the cigarette lighter power lead which contains the necessary voltage reduction gubbins i.e. Emtac, Royaltek RBT3000 etc, the key factor being they have a hardware ON/OFF switch, others that have soft ON/OFF switches would stay not turn on automatically when 12v is applied.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Ah ok thats cleared that up thanks very much

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Darren,

I'd love to see the photos. Have I missed a review or a "Reader's Mount" (or Staff's Mount) ?

Foxy

Reply to
FireFox

Is there something very similar to the tomtom go, eg big screen, similar price and similarly easy to use, that will connect to a laptop and feed it a location signal?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

No you haven't missed a review, I only got the Disco a couple of weeks ago and finally sorted out the mounts yesterday. I've knocked up a quick page with photos:

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Not that I'm aware of, the nearest would be a PocketPC solution with a BT GPS which could be used on either device, indeed with the Emtac Trine it will happily supply GPS data to both devices at the same time.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

I don't know about tomtom because I have never seen one, I have used a garmin 12xl for a few years and I connect this to a p133 laptop via the serial port running an obsolete program called personal navigator. If I were to upgrade I think I would go for a garmin 60cs for walking and then run it via the serial port with free software like trackmaker, with this you scan in your own maps (or lift digitised ones from a government agency). You will probably need two programs, one for street work with voice instructions and re routing and the other for using with your own topo maps.

As my laptop (ancient ibm thinkpad with defunct battery) has only

500MB hdd I think I might get a ide interface for a memory stick, I'm not sure what's best, smart card, compact flash etc. I am told this will then run win98se and store the image files without the hard disk being a problem.

For walking I generally upload a few waypoints from the map program and take a print of the 1:25,000 with me, on the road I select a route in the personal navigator and only look at it when I need to, although the bitmap is 1:250,000 so not as detailed as autoroute (which I have not used on the laptop.

There used to be a free voice router called gpss, I don't know if this is still available.

My current setup cost GBP125 complete (exc 25 for an inverter).

AJH

Reply to
sylva

I am interested in the tomtom go but would love to see one in opperation is there anyone near Portsmouth who has one and is willing to show me a demo on it, or knows where I can see one and play with it, I am sure I could streach to a pint or so for their trouble...

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Darren,

a) I hope you enjoy the Disco b) Very neat!! I look forward to the full write up. I'd be interested (put it in the write up, don't bother posting details here) in as much detail as possible on how the cradles "are hard wired into the fuse box".

Foxy

Reply to
FireFox

current favourate is the tomtom go. if I could find something with those features that would take memory-map as well as the regular stuff, preferably finding addresses, oh and a largish screen, I'd be very interested. any suggestions?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I'll be driving from Cornwall to Bognor then to Eastborne in a few weeks and may well have one by then, would be happy to detour and show you what I think of it etc.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Another question for the GPS dude, probably seem like an idiots questions so you may all point and laugh.......

sticking with the tomtom go as an example, obviously I can jump in the car, tell it where I want to go and it'll talk to me etc. what if I got in the car and just wanted it to show me where I am without any planned route jiggery pokery? can it do that or is it purely a take you to an address kinda toy?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

It can do that as well, with no active map displayed it will act as a moving map. You can also install our free Gatso Database and receive warnings when you approach Gatso's Truvelo's, SPECS and Mobile sites :)