Is this restorable do you think?

She isn't. I might be. I like the Disco box, but it might not be strong enough.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around 7 Nov 2004 10:31:38 GMT, "Simon Atkinson" enlightened us thusly:

well, I dunno about you, but my shoes and meals don't cost anything like that much. Tyres, maybe.

but yeah, yer right, it's small fry compared to the cost of fuel and so on, but then again, it's still a rip-off.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

still better in my pocket than theirs ta very much.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

And it's easy to forget the capital value of BBP 160 per year. It adds up when interest rates are low.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I agree. I loose a fair whack of my money in tax of some form so a bit less is nice!

£160 is still a fair bit to me!

It makes having a landrover as a second car much more feasable since the only cost i have to worry about is the insurance (which is not that much more than the tax would be!)

In the 4 years i've had my landy I've saved £640. Thats probably 6 months fuel costs for me! Makes it worth it in my mind!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I wish it was 6 months for me! More like 3 weeks fuel bills - but I do a lot of miles.

Perhaps that's why (although I buy it with as much bad grace as I can muster) I just don't understand why a nail made (allegedly) pre-72 is worth more than a nicer example made later.

I think it's creating a false market for older vehicles - and a market for ringing newer ones.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

On or around 7 Nov 2004 14:34:30 GMT, "Simon Atkinson" enlightened us thusly:

which it'd not do if they'd left it alone. No-one's going to take the risk and effort to use a 1972 ID on a 1974 vehicle if it'll be exempt next year anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

£160, when Percy is running it's the fuel to run him for a year given that he is a Big boys toy / backup car. If I had to pay to tax him I wouldn't be running either Percy or the 101 (Which isn't tax exempt).

I know this is not alot of fuel, in the last 2 years I've done 900 miles and

540 miles IIRC in Percy. Given the fact we need at least 2 vehicles on the go at any one time even bearing in mind the insurance it works out way cheaper than getting a hire car for a week when one or the other is inevitably off the road for something. Having to pay to tax them would tip the balance. Last time I spent £160 on a meal for two was ..... er...ok so I must be tight. I prefer to call it prudent.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

WTF? £160 meal for two??????? Where do you eat? The Ritz? Or Raffles?

My god, you have very expensive shoes too, Imelda Marcos (sp?) has nowt on you pal!!!

;~)

Nige

Reply to
Nige

You learn something new every day!!!

Cheers

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Please allow me to graciously accept any offer you may make to Charlotte and I to dine with you at some point...

Reply to
Mother

The 109 looks a bit past it, even as a source of spares... As for the plate, well, U can only transfer it if the "donor" vehicle is road legal, so that's not a lot of use DOH.

I'd have a crack at that 101 tho, always fancied one :)

Reply to
Me

I would like to make the point that I don't spend 160 per meal every night of the week - but now and again it's nice.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

The benefit of expensive hand made shoes is that they fit well and last forever - the pair I wear for work are 15 years old and (the uppers at least) still look like new.

Bit like remoulds never last or look as good as new tyres!

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

But when you get a puncture you're glad you only spent 30 quid on a remould.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:44:05 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

hehe. I once gashed the side of a 50-quid minibus tyre, which was about a week old, on a concealed sharp-thing in someone's driveway. Not happy, I wasn't.

Actually, there's another thing about long-lasting tyres that I find a slight put-off, and that's the fact that you spend a (relatively) long time with not much tread, before they're worn enough to justify lobbing 'em out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So Simon Atkinson was, like

Totally agree. I have a pair of Trickers brogues bought for (I think) £110 about 14 years ago. A massive amount to spend on some shoes. Since then I have had them resoled 3 times at about £25 a go. The last time I collected them from the cobblers, there was a scruffy chav-type person in there. When he overheard the price of the repair, he nearly choked on his rollie. I explained the maths to him. £185 total cost over 14 years = just over £13 a year for the most comfortable shoes I have ever had. I asked him how much his trainers cost, and how long they would last. No answer.

Mind you, these don't look like new. They look well battered, but I think they look better like that, and go well with anything from jeans to a suit.. A bit like the Landies of the footwear world*.

*On-topic reference.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

What? they leak & need constant attention!!!! :~)

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I've had a pair of dr martins that are 8 years old and on their third sole. I've worn through the leather now though so have to go buy a new pair of shoes :( They did pretty well considering that they wernt expensive shoes to start with!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I can beat that matey boy!

Got a pair of shoes here that I've had for 19 years, only had 3 new soles and 2 new uppers. Like new they are!

Reply to
SimonJ