Looking for someone lousy at reversing trailers near Haverfordwest.

Hi, having made a tit of myself enough times attempting to manouver trailers with my land rover I've decided to go on a course for a bit of professional tuition...

Course supplier says he will do two people for the same price; it's easier and one can act as a spotter for the other during training. However, there is only one of me.

For this reason I'm looking for someone to share this course with (I'll pay, I just need the extra body who can drive a land rover and is interested in learning about towing with a 4x4). I'm aiming to do it 6.00pm to 9.00pm during a week day evening (not Friday) over the next couple of weeks. Tuesday or Wednesday of next week might be a goer... The site is 5 - 10 miles from Haverfordwest in Pembrokeshire so 'that person' needs to be able to get there

for a 6.00pm start.

E-mail me off list if interested, take the no-spam bit out of the reply address.

Cheers,

Reply to
McBad

Does Jamie Oliver live anywhere near perchance?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

If it's last night episode then he's worse when it's unhooked!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I take it that is with Tim Brookes? One for you Rich B?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Sit straight, start reversing and watch in th emirror NATURAL. Cant believe you are willing to pay to be shown something NATURAL. Take each movement slowly. You will get the knack. Short trailers turn VERY quick

Reply to
tomtom

Hmmm, might be natural to you, but took me about 40 goes to turn my dinghy around in the road outside my sisters house! Mind, I did only tow it about once a year, and I'd usually turn it around by unhooking and doing it by hand!

If I was a bit closer or had a bit more time, I'd very much appreciate learning how to reverse a trailer properly.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

|| I take it that is with Tim Brookes? One for you Rich B? || || Dave

It's with Jumbo.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| Sit straight, start reversing and watch in th emirror || NATURAL. || Cant believe you are willing to pay to || be shown something NATURAL. || Take each movement slowly. || You will get the knack.

No it aint. I've been driving for 35 years and towing seriously for the last 10, and I still find it anything but natural. I can do it without looking a fool (I hope) but I still have to stop and think it out every so often. Perhaps if I were a farmer and did it every day it might become second nature, but no sign of it yet. If he's willing to pay to learn a skill, what's wrong with that? If you wanted to learn Japanese in a hurry you'd do it.

|| Short trailers turn VERY quick

Yes - so much that I never bother with the light ones. Unhitch, turn by hand, re-hitch and off.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Fri, 14 Jul 2006 16:37:54 +0100, "McBad" enlightened us thusly:

bugger me, I'm in the wrong business. I could do that easy... even got a choice of trailers, although I haven't got the big beastie any more, which, although big, was a doddle to reverse. The most difficult one to reverse, of the ones I have here, is the little one, especially when hitched to the

109".
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:36:17 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

That's a fair comment and it really isn't natural - and if you want advanced level reversing, try doing a dray-type trailer (4-wheeler with a turntable at one end) behind a farm tractor. My BiL Tim has some of them, and even he has trouble, having been doing it most of his life.

my most impressive bit of reversing (too stubborn to unhitch) involved deliberately getting the trailer jack-knifed in order to make the whole rig a few feet shorter, in order to make it fit in the available space. Only works if the trailer drawbar is long enough that the body clears the back of the vehicle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles