OT Help - GPS gone blind!

On the next one, either back the whole thing up using TomTom home, or just the favorites. I think the favorites is only one file. If i remember its mapsettings.cfg which is inside the map folder (great-Britain_map)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

tomtom on my pda always looses all its favorites if it it powered off unexpectantly (i.e. the battery goes flat).

Reply to
Tom Woods

|| On 14/12/2006 21:44, Richard Brookman wrote: ||| Richard Brookman wrote: ||| ||| ||| || On the next one, either back the whole thing up using TomTom home, or || just the favorites. I think the favorites is only one file. If i || remember its mapsettings.cfg which is inside the map folder || (great-Britain_map)

I did back it up, but when I tried to restore, there was no backup listed in tomtom home. Grrr.

Thanks for the info on the filename, though - a simple copy of the files onto other media would be better than nothing.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

You can backup simply by copying the entire contents of the 700's hard drive. Also, our advice is to only ever use 'favourites' for temporary locations. If you want to keep them, save them in a custom POI Group. The resulting .ov2 file in the map folder can be copied, backed up, shared and restored in seconds.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

I dont think that anyone should use the Home location on Tom Tom for well home really...

If someone nicks your keys, then your car, they know exactly where you live, and have a key to your house.

Ive got my home as work... Well i do seem to spend more time there so i suppose it fits!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

|| You can backup simply by copying the entire contents of the 700's || hard drive. Also, our advice is to only ever use 'favourites' for || temporary locations. If you want to keep them, save them in a || custom POI Group. The resulting .ov2 file in the map folder can be || copied, backed up, shared and restored in seconds.

I did a backup as you say - but not nearly often enough! Thatnks for the advice on the POI group - when tomtom send me my new one I will have a go at this. Might need to come back to you for help, though.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| I dont think that anyone should use the Home location on Tom Tom for || well home really... || || If someone nicks your keys, then your car, they know exactly where || you live, and have a key to your house. || || Ive got my home as work... Well i do seem to spend more time there || so i suppose it fits!

Yes indeed. I have a scenario in my head where a villain nicks your car when you're miles from home, and presses "home". He sets off in your car, with your satnav conveniently guiding him to your front door. How easy can it be? I set my home location to be some way from my house, but in a place where the route would be correct from any likely direction I may be in.

I do this rather than set a favourite, as I love the sequence after a long trip when it's time for home:

Press Navigate To... Press Home... Pause ... In three hundred yards, turn left ... Thanks Jane.

OT - anyone else got one of those "humorous" voices? I nearly spilt my coffee when my satnav told me: "at the roundabout, turn left, first exit, then you can put me on your knee and I'll ride you like a bitch." Good think I wasn't running the vicar home at the time. It got worse.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

No prob just holler :)

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

I set mine to the end of the road in which I live. Accurate enough for planning, vague enough to be an issue if one of the satnav's fall into the hands of a scrote.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

|| Richard Brookman wrote: || || || || To be fair, they have now arranged to collect it via || UPS and sort it out. Getting there...

Collected and delivered back, 9 working days over Xmas/New Year period, repaired rather than replaced, but perfect working order now, and warranty extended to two years. Can't complain at that.

Reply to
Richard Brookman