OT:I'll be damned.

Well, having had a brand new gearbox at 390 miles the Touareg now needs another gearbox after a thousand. It's all over the place, in 3rd jumping to fifth etc. It is obviously fecked. It needs a new door lock, a new windscreen, a new sat nav system all after a thousand mile - appalling.

I'm afraid it is going to have to go back for a full refund.

I am very disappointed.

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

My boss had a Toerag...the V10 diesel. He had it for about 9 weeks, 3 of which it was back at the dealers for one problem or another. He demanded a refund and after a bit of a fight with VW, he finally got his money back and bought a Disco!

Reply to
Pacman

I'm gonna get my solicitor to sort a lettor out tomorrow, f*ck this for a game of soldiers.

I have a 110 that has done 235k & has never even coughed in the last 2k!!!

Shocking, shocking.................

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

I'll add to this story, my Subaru, a bloody quick car that you would think could be a tad tempramental has been the most reliable car i have ever owned.

I have hit 20k hard miles over the last year & it has not enough barked once. Dealer sevice is superb, free servicing & performance to die for.

However, fuel consumption & insurance can be a tad expensive!

I'm moving away from German cars now. Having owned 6 Audis/VW's in the last 10 years I can see Japanese is miles more reliable (for the wife it needs to be)

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

Yeah, the S2000 seems a decent car!

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

another gearbox after a thousand.

It needs a new door lock, a

Disappointed? - understandable. Surprised? You shouldn't be too much - VW make the most unreliable part on a Freelander and overall they are nowhere near as reliable as the Saloon Bar Experts would have you believe.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I thought you were on holiday!

Reply to
Pacman

On or around Mon, 5 Sep 2005 20:56:56 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

gearbox after a thousand.

It needs a new door lock, a

hmmm. So much for VWs much-advertised build quality then... Wonder if the Porsche Cayenne is any better, or whether you've just got unlucky with a "friday afternoon" one?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 5 Sep 2005 22:11:54 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

interestingly, they sold discos in Japan badged as Hondas... can't see Honda agreeing to that if they thought it was going to spoil the brand name.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

VW supplied the dodgy brake balance unit on very early defenders for years no wonder they give so much trouble. I bet if we look closer it's actualy every other manufacturer that gives Land Rover the unreliable name.

Brian Tonks

another gearbox after a thousand.

fecked. It needs a new door lock, a

Reply to
Brian Tonks

The Honda Crossroad

Pacman

That was a long time ago, Austin, and before Honda had a 4x4 of their own. I don't think Honda had such a good name in those days anyway :-)

Reply to
SteveG

Well, I have just sent the garage a formal rejection letter stating all faults and the reason for the rejection. Lets see what happens now!

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

Crappy Discovery door locks... GM

My starter for ten.

However, the biggest shames must be Freelander 1.8's with perennially blowing gaskets and Range Rover V8's with slipping liners / porous blocks. Oh, and R380 gearboxes that break at about 100,000 miles.

Those are virtually guaranteed on all vehicles supplied before the fault was fixed. The design changes were horribly slow in being applied (has the Freelander ever been improved?) and left owners with inevitable large bills, often just after warranty had expired.

So I don't think we can blame VW or anyone else for the biggest reliability embarrassments.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Just a bit off topic but I'm looking for a good used van in the 3,500K to 5,500K range. I've had both Mercedes and Transits in the past and the old brick shaped Mercs (208, 308) were about as strong and reliable as one could expect from a van. 'Trouble is these new Sprinters are not the same stuff at all, I'm told it's because they make 'em in Spain at much lower build quality then the old Stuttgart models ? I'm now told that the VW LT35 is the only van still built remotely like the old Stuttgart Mercs and that they are currently the 'Rolls Royce' of vans as far as build, durability and reliability is concerned. Hearing all this about other VW products has made me pause on my decision. I'd be grateful if for any insights or experience about this?

Reply to
Moving Vision

In germany we call this a monday morning one :)

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

Sorted, they are taking it back & we're getting a full refund.

God knows what she will do for a car now!

Need I ask, she'll be using my Subaru & I'll be using the Land Rover!!

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

Disco II, you know it makes sense;-) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

From what I see they don't fair much better ;~(

Reply to