Oztents

Anyone used one - anyone got one for sale/

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Yes to the first, Doubtful to the second.

What do want to know?

Neil

Neil

Are they as easy to put up (and stay up!) as they claim

Do they have a built in groundsheet (one seems to be offered as an extra)

Are you pleased with yours

Reply to
Julian Pollard

G'day Julian....

I've had one for nearly three years and used it well.

Your q's..

  1. Yes, even easier. I lay a light tarp on the ground first. ( 30 seconds!) Oz-tent pack on top. swing sides. pull up 10 seconds. ........ It's up !!! Pegging takes a few minutes, but all cords are pocketed in tent... you just pull 'em out and knock 'em to a peg.

  1. The tent does have a plastic 'well' which keeps out crawlies and water. as I said above, I always throw a small tarp on the ground and base the ten on this...... Keeps it from any holes, ground junk and ground moisture so it's 'fold away' clean.

  2. Yeah.... I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I think the newer ones have an extra pivot in the frame so they're not as long when packed ( mine's 2 metres!) It fits inside the 110 but just intrudes a little between the front seats. be great if it was 'shorter'..... One day I'm gonna make a container to put it on the roof ! :)) I'd also like it a little deeper inside. The next model from mine was. but it was also longer when folded.

For speed and ease of 'put up' it's great. And it's totally secure from weather and crawlies..... I reckon this outweighs the 'packed away length'. ............

==example!!!...... We dropped into an area in the southern highlands of NSW ( Oz.) about two months ago. it was cool, bit of a wind, and getting late in the afternoon. Another happy-camper had driven in about the same time.

I opened the back door. Threw the tarp on the ground, slid out the Oz tent, outfolded the sides and pulled it up !!! It was up !! Then a few minutes securing to pegs. The 'other' campers were still putting theirs up half an hour later while I watched with a beer in hand with all preps _done_ !. Theirs sure had the advantage of being 'packed away' more compactly, but I'm pleased with mine! There _are_ a few modifications that I'll make, when I get around to it, though. In all..... it's OK !

Hope this helps.

.... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

I don't own one, but have seen it demonstrated at a 4wd show. Their claim of 30 sec. setup looks about right- including getting it out of its bag. Both the RV and the microfast tents just pop right up. Very different styles though- the micro is like a hiking tent with a weird loopy pole arrangement, the RV is a strong canvas tent to go next to your

4wd. Yes they have built-in groundsheets! Neccessary in Oz to keep out the creepy-crawlies... Check them at

The optional extra groundsheet (if it's for the micro) would be to protect the lightweight floor, just like my proper hiking tent. Their site doesn't list them. You might do better asking on aus.cars.offroad for user experiences

Reply to
Natalie Drest

Thanks Frodo and Natalie

Frodo - I think the guy with the other tent was me (beamed over from the UK!) I have an Autocamp (or some similar name) which fits nicely onto the back of my 90 but takes a wrestling match to put up

Reply to
Julian PollardPOP_Server=pop.freeuk.net

Hehhehheh.....

This couple's tent had all these 'push-through' springy ( fibreglass?) rods that they were still putting through the maze of channels after mine was up and all stuff inside ! and...Then they had to get it _"UP"_... and _then_ run around and peg it. Like upside-down umbrellas!! And the 'domed' shapes meant 'hands and knees' towards the sides. .... Looked good when it was up, though.... sort of a cross between a fantasy lunar habitation site and the Sydney Opera House. The Oz-tent is like a bloody great matchbox !!! _Very_ functional but not a real lot of aesthetic attraction. On the other hand , what's wrong with a rectangular prism ?

I also have a couple of small "A" tents with flies that you just lay out and then crawl into and slip up the two alloy poles and spacer. It sits limp until you guy it. Then it's OK. They pack into less than a metre by around 200 mms round pack. Made of 'Japara'... and quite light with the alloy poles. Y'can walk with 'em !!

Trouble with "A"s is the 'down sides' and lack of room when your 'inside'.... One advantage of the Oz-tent is its 'stand up' height all around. It's a "room" in which you can put your stuff easily and dance around in !! But they _are_ different horses for different courses!

I reckon that speed of erection and 'stand up' height with max room are two _great_ plusses of the Oz tent. But you wouldn't carry it anywhere.... well no more than 30 metres anyway. The internal frame ( the folding alloy struts that make its erection so simple), _plus_ the fact that it's a medium weight canvas.......... I mean...it's not a 'backpackers'tent' Hahhahhah.... its gotta bit of weight. But hauling in and out of the 110 is no prob at all. It's ruggedness means you don't have to take much care either ( as you would with Japara!)

BTW... congrats on the Ashes. Your blokes played better.( Gees, they've been at it for a generation, eh !!) I reckon you all can nurse that little urn for close on another four years. Then we'll take 'em back for another _eighteen_ or so...... And _Take_ 'em back, too. Hehhehheh..... So enjoy!

Gees, I dunno.... first the Rugby , now the Cricket. Heyyy....You mob being fed better than you were, or something!! :)) Next it'll be the frig'n swimming !! ( in ya dreams!) Hehhehheh.

Best wishes....

.... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

Frodo

Definitely it was me putting up tent!!!!!!

The Ashes - Wonderful!!!!!!!

Julian

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Yes! I've not actually timed it, but it is just so easy, even single handed.

If a strong wind is blowing, it's best to pitch it with the rear sloping edge into the wind and peg the rear corners, or get someone to hold the windward side guy BEFORE the whole tent is pulled up and the frame locked.

I got the RV4 and reflective fly sheet a couple of years back. I have since added the high side panels and the front panel. With all the panels in, it's effectively a small frame tent - without the hassle! The fly sheet also provides three useful external shaded areas around the tent. Adjustable telescopic poles are a nice touch too - means you can lower a corner for wind shedding or rain run-off. With huge areas of insect mesh and massive ventilation availability, condensation has never been a problem.

The weight and packed size might put off some, but the convenience and speed with which it is deployed are, for me at least, worth that sacrifice.

The fabric is very substantial. The thick pvc built-in ground sheet probably contributes significantly to the overall weight, but is easy to clean, and also dead easy to repair with McNetts Seamgrip.

Yes! It was my own fault for not inspecting the ground thoroughly enough, and I missed a very sharp flint and by purely bad luck, placed the camp bed leg right over it :o( I doubt if anything could have resisted puncturing with my weight pushing a wooden bed leg onto a flint. It only made a very small cut which was quickly and permanently repaired with Seamgrip.

I think the optional extra ground sheet you mention is to cover the area outside the main tent, under the canopy/awning area. I usually(although not always) use a piece of ground sheet big enough to cover the area underneath the main tent, and the outside area as well.

Am I pleased with it? Yes, very much so!

HTH

Neil

Neil