Painting a galvenized roof rack

Painting a galvenized roof rack, can I just slap on some hammerite?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mr.Nice. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You need to paint with an etcher to form a key. T-Wash is one that will do the job. Your Hammerite will then bond to the galvanized.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I dont think paint sticks too well to galv. You can get something called T-Wash (?) to treat the galv before painting. I think maybe Screwfix do it.

Yup, they do.

Simon Barr

I am not too sure what t-wash is, but I did my firewall as follows. Clean with galvowash (an acidic liquid that takes all the oily stuff of the surface. They spray/paint with galvanised iron primer. Then paint as you usually would.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Twas 23 Jan 2004 08:46:23 GMT when Simon Barr put finger to keyboard producing:

Good old screwfix, thanks Simon ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

You can but it'll peel off after a couple of months out in the weather. There are some special galvanised primers see:

but it's probably much cheaper to slap some more hammerite on when it peels.

Matt '86 D110 (with galvanised roof rack)

Reply to
Matt M0MAT

Nope. It won't stick. You'll need Hammerite Special Metals Primer first if you want to use Hammerite on it.

If you're using normal paint, then you need either a Uniblock Primer or preferably an Etch Primer. A paint factor will be able to supply you with either.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

People will argue about whether or not to use Hammerite at all, but the combination does work. I reckon Hammerite may be a little too viscous to get good results on some jobs, and people tend to apply a thick coat which doesn't help. But Hammerite is no good for applying multiple thin coats.

It might be worth looking at something a little less conventional, depending on your vehicle and the roof rack.

Reply to
David G. Bell