Ping Richard (Beamends)

Hi Richard, have you got an airflow sensor for a discoII V8 yet? Notice your website says it's pending? (ERR7171) Cheers, Badger.

PS Don't you just hate gas backfires!!

Reply to
Badger

Carburettors.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:48:39 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

must be more delicate than the old hotwire, then. Never hurt that having a backfire up it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep ERR7171 Air Flow Meter - Discovery II - Petrol £104.57 inc VAT Genune Parts only

Depends on whether I'm buying or selling :-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yeah, ok! Thanks for the quick response Richard. Turns out it isn't the AFM after all, even though everything was pointing at it, it even made no difference when you disconnected it! Seems it was already in some sort of default mapping, due to the upstream R/H Lambda probe having failed to a lean condition ( 0volts ) as it heats up! Could have been the failing probe that caused the backfire I suppose. Bugger! Wonder how long it'll be before the other 3 pack in - triple bugger!!! Damn thing's got 4 probes (pre and post cat) even though it's a UK model - I was always under the impression that it was only the nanny-state USA models that were so equiped. Still, at least the probe is only £53 online...... Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Ah, yes, old fashioned fuel metering devices that need relatively regular tweaking to remain somewhere close to reasonable fuel mixture ratios, affected by vibration, sideslopes and incompetents with screwdrivers that think they know how to tweak them! Giving only low performance and economy efficiency percentages when compared to the much more accurate modern injection systems. ;-)

If only the modern systems could be fixed at the side of the road by the same (or a similar) screwdriver-wielding incompetent!! Hahaha. Badger.

P.S. I quite categorically refuse to include the flapper-type efi system within the heading of "modern", it is an archaic device, only producing a reasonable power increase over carbs due to the improved inlet manifold design!!

Reply to
Badger

They don't like it up them, you know!! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

So are you pro or anti Carbs then?

;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:05:45 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

They're doing a set of DVDs of Dad's Army...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Carbure.... oh never mind. ;o)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Only after I've bought the Dukes of Hazard boxed set though! Hmmmm.... Daisy Duke......

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Yeah, ok, point taken. ;-) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I am neither pro nor anti, I tend to sit on the fence as each system has it's own merits. If you put a gun to my head then I dare say I'd swing towards EFI purely because of the superior fuel metering qualities over carbs (original flapper comments being taken into consideration, of course), but I have a soft spot for a pair (or even two pairs) of SU's. If, however, you wish to use as a comparison Strombergs or Holley's, then I am definitely anti-carb! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

i probably agree with you on the strombergs (175 cd's are bloody awful), but holleys? they are awesome. at least my mates tricked up 5 litre holden commodore with four-barrel 650 cfm holley was an absolute screamer to drive. huge improvement over the quadrajet he had before.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

A pair of SU's, when set up correctly, will give better economy than any Holley ever can, due to the superior fuel metering control at part throttle, also the Holley tends not to be too happy with fairly extreme changes in attitude (something landy's do quite regularly when used off-road) even with the "off-road" float setup. The holley is an excellent carb for straight-line drag-strip type usage though, and copes relatively well with normal road use side forces. Webber (Edelbrock) 500 is a better carb all round (than the holley) for a rover v8 engine though. Badger.

Reply to
Badger