PING Vertuas .... RE TD4 Starting Problem

Vertuas,

Over the last few days I developed _exactly_ the same symptoms as you described with my TD4.

It was diagnosed at the main dealer as the under bonnet fuel pump (located beside the fuel filter) not always coming on. You could tap the body of the same to fire it up so the car would start. Once that was done the car would start and keep running ok. Since the unit has been replaced the car has started and run fine.

If you are still trying to fix this problem this information should help.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for this, I just had to go rescue my fiancee as she took it to work and got stuck somewhere.........I figured out how to make it start, (not by tapping it but bye turning it on/off/on/off about 15 times before cranking it) but she hasn't got the knack yet.

I was also ringing around to find an in tank pump, and was about to post about finding one!

Thank you very much for this information,

Your Gratefully

Vertuas

Reply to
Vertuas

Richard

Just noticed you mentioned "run and keep running".

keeping running isn't the problem with our, it just sometimes won;t start, which is getting to be more often.

I might just pay the money and take it to the dealers.

Thanks again for the info

Vertuas

Reply to
Vertuas

I booked it it! £88 inc vat for 1 hour.......wish i was on 88 quid an hour! LMAO

Reply to
Vertuas

snip

I didn't put that very well. The failure of the under bonnet pump to start up does really only produce a starting problem ...... that is why once you have fired it up by twisting or tapping it the car will start and keep running. The reason it keeps running is because once this pump has provided enough fuel to allow starting there is a third pump (at the engine) which keeps things going nicely. They is roughly how it was explained to me any way. This pump is definitely your problem.

see above

First time mine went to the dealers they could reproduce the fault ..... every time they started the car it fired up. Took it home and within half an hour it failed. They then came out to my house to see it in the failed state diagnosed the fault got it going took it back to LRovers and fixed it.

No problem ....... when it is done you will feel confident about going out without your mobile again lol.

Richard

Reply to
Richard