Re: Whats "Top posting"

:-)

Reply to
Signman

so Signman was, like...

I used to top-post when I first was on Usenet - my mail program (OE) wouldn't do it any other way, and I didn't know any better. I recall a few rows with longer-serving posters over top/bottom posting - if you are keeping up with a discussion, top-posting is actually easier to read, as you don't need to scroll down through yards of stuff you've already seen to get to the interesting bit. However, I came to realise that bottom (or interspersed) posting is the Usenet convention, and I was happy to go along with it. Top posting is a bit like farting in a lift - it's not illegal, you don't need permission, and no-one can stop you, but you won't make many friends that way. And since we read these newsgroups to get help, and have friendly discussions, what's the point in alienating the majority?

OE Quotefix is free, by the way, and you get lots of nice colours in your posts.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ignorance and arrogance in such a tiny package of a mind. You certainly are efficient.

Such an efficient f****it is a rare find indeed.

Reply to
Mother

Dick, Please stop being one!!!!

Reply to
Signman

Dick, Get a life. Computers are merely a tool. Usenet is a medium. There are no rules as long as a poster does not offend against the criminal law.

Reply to
Signman

Ah, the killfile doesn't work then. and do you really need to use foul language?

Reply to
Signman

You are evidently unable to read or understand, let me assist you in your quest for 'clue'...

Only reserved for complete wankers such as yourself who court confrontation and live in the happy, moist, incorrect belief that they are always right and demonstrate their ability to hold their own, albeit in a somewhat jerky manner.

Reply to
Mother

so Signman was, like...

Oh, f*ck off.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Of course there are rules, It's just that YOU have no intention of following them even after politely being pointed out not to top post.

If you ever require help on this group you'll not get any (not from me anyway) due to your blatant lack of respect for newsgroup Netiquette and how it's supposed to work.

You'll probably be talking to yourself soon anyway as you'll end up in everyones kill file.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Thanks for that, just testing quotefix with this post

Karen

EMB wrote:

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Karen Gallagher wrote: | Thanks for that, just testing quotefix with this post | | Karen | | EMB wrote: || Karen Gallagher wrote: ||| Well, mostly quite sane ;) ||| ||| Some news clients (like mine. Outlook) don't even give the option to ||| bottom post, making it require a positive effort each time. || || You need OE Quotefix that fixes this and several other bizzairre || things that Outlook Express does when used as a news client. It's || downloadable from

Ah, that's better, it's a neat little program. Shame I had to RTFM to get it to work :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

On or around Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:39:02 +0000 (UTC), "Signman" enlightened us thusly:

I think that answers you quite clearly, Richard... oh well, another filter.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:37:35 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I've filtered him. But I like this reply...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As I said before, I'm not unduly bothered about a lot of top posting and won't generally make a huge issue out of it. However, when someone responds with something along the lines of "I don't care for tradition, netiquette or manners, I like doing it this way, so screw the rest of you" I sometimes wonder why they are here and why I haven't got an automatic top-poster filter...

And this is another facet really - the 'local community'. someone mentioned this place was akin to a local pub - and yes, I guess it is in many ways. Open and welcoming, but intollerant of arrogant drunks coming in and telling us to put fresh sawdust down. (Should give you some idea what my 'local' is like...)

Reply to
Mother

You appear to have mistaken me for someone who gives a shit.

I'm still waiting for a top-poster who has anything interesting to say - it's like the usenet equivalent of wandering around with 'kick me' written on your forehead or dogshit on your shoes. Most of them go straight into the killfile.

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete Young

Sawdust? LUXURY!!!!! DaveP

Reply to
davepseudonym

Well, usually last nights furniture...

Reply to
Mother

No, there are no rules. Unless of course one includes foul language whensomeone doesnt do as they are told!

Reply to
Signman

Follow your own advice Dick.

Reply to
Signman

All new posters,please report to the resident arrogant drunk "mother" for permission to speak!!!

Reply to
Signman