S3D - Perkins

my S3D 2.25 engine is definetely past its prime.

ive been offered a perkins 4236, does anyone have any experience with the perkins, advice etc. oh yeah, theres an adapter as part of the deal.

am i right in thinking the 4236 is a 3.9L

tks

'

Reply to
teddave

there's a thread about perkins

try searching google groups for any of the following

Reply to
Denis F

deal.

The Perkins 4.236 is fit only for tractors, plant and dumpers. It is heavy, slow revving, noisy and good where it is fitted as OE. For a Land Rover it is a sow's ear.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:40:49 +0000 (UTC), "teddave" enlightened us thusly:

near enough. Perkins engine numbers no. of cylinders and capacity in cubic inches, so a 4-cylinder 236in engine. in. to cc. is multiply by 2,54 3 times, i.e. 236*2.54*2.54*2.54 = 3867 approx. There was also among others a

4203 (better suited to the LR), 3154, 6354 etc etc. Not sure what the number for the V8 was...

you'll probably break half-shafts, unless you're careful. The 4236 produces more torque at low revs than the 2¼ diesel.

but I tend to go along with Huw on this one, it's well-suited to a massey-fergy tractor, and quite good in a boat.

but if it's good and cheap, it will actually work in a LR. slow-revving (even slower than a 2¼ diesel!), so an overdrive is useful.

a worn perkins is as bad as any other worn engine, so you need to be reasonably convinced it's a good 'un.

Parts for it shouldn't be a problem.

to sum up: if it's good and cheap it'll keep you on the road, but not the engine-of-choice.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had the 4203 (3.3l) engine in a LWB series 2 some years back. My findings? Well never had much problem, apart from what I caused myself by messing and learning. MPG was pretty good, latter 20's. The torque from the engine was amazing. It would pull a tonne on tickover from standstill. Parts, dirt cheap. Whole engine rebuild cost me £250, inc pistons, crank regrind etc.

Those are the good points:

Another bad point is, apart from those already pointed out are, you will need a good pair of earmuffs as any soundproofing unless its about 4" thick doesn't seem to work too well. And if you plan on not having power steering, start weight lifting now? As the weight of the engine makes it heavy going at slow speeds.

Have fun.

Tim '96 300 Tdi Disco.

Reply to
Tim

Don't do it!!, It's truly a horrible engine in a Landrover, much better in a tractor. It's exceedingly noisy after a 2.25 diesel, will eat halfshafts if your not very careful, and is painfully slow even with an overdrive and RR diffs - simply doesn't have enough of a rev range. If you fancy a perkins, go for the prima, a 2 litre turbo diesel fitted to Montego cars. You can pick up a complete car for £150 and all the parts needed (other than coversion kit) can be sourced from a Freight rover or sherpa van. Being a car engine, this is much more suited to a LR and outperforms the 2.25 and 2.5 petrol engines. Together with excellent economy (30+ mpg).

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

Contrary to the above posts, this engine although rebadged in South Africa as an ADE 236 was a standard fit to the Ser3 S, a local derivative.

These are very sought after vehicles due to their low running costs and cheap service parts.

The 3S is fitted with a salisbury rear axel and I think the 236 had something like a 3.6 diff ratio. The Santana gearbox was also fitted and having rebult mine, I can attest that these are substantially stronger than a standard serIII box.

A mate of mine has turbocharged his and it runs on 35 inch Simex mud tyres and off road it is quite simply awesome. He has had to uprate his front diff to some sort of FC unit but this is more due to the turbo/big tyres combo as well as the places he tries to take it. The standard SerIIIS was not know for breaking drive trains.

The IIIS can comfortably run 100km/h and probably 120+ if fitted with an overdrive. You might find some more info on

I would say that for an offroad vehicle this is probably the best engine ever to go into a landrover as you don't have the constant problems of turbos blowing, engines spontaneously combusting etc that are so popular with Tdi's. My friends one had done 700 000km without an overhaul before he bought it. Try that with a tdi.

I would say that provided you are prepared to change the diff ratios to suit, then this would make an awesome vehicle.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

(snip)

(snip)

How about the Isuzu 4BD1 or 4BD1T fitted to the S3 Stage 1 and 110 in Australia? My 110 has done nearly 110,000km, total engine repairs - one thermostat. JD (1986 3.9 diesel, 1970 2a 2.25 petrol)

Reply to
JD

On or around Fri, 05 Mar 2004 06:47:00 +1100, JD enlightened us thusly:

The Isuzu is well-regarded as diesel engines go. I see Santana are fitting the Iveco 2.8, though IMHO it's a pity they've not specced the higher output one. 'course, it may be that you can order same, or convert it once you've got it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Land Rover-wise, it's too heavy for anything other than a series Forward Control. It's very heavy, slow revving but has massive torque so unless you're delicate on the clutch it'll spit gearbox shafts out through the bottom of the casing.

What's it going into and what are you wanting to do with it?

Reply to
PDannyD

i think the weight of responses has put me off the idea of a perkins. the thought of pottering around london in a glorified dumper truck has put paid to my ambitions, it was just the cheapenss of teh engine whihc attracted me. now the idea of breaking a maestro. . .

tks to everybody for your responses

ted

Reply to
teddave