Snorkel advice please

Hi group,

I am planning on installing a snorkel/raised air intake on my 200tdi Defender to allow me to wade deeper when on green lane weekends. The main decision point seems to surround mushroom top or straight top. I am concerned about what the effect would be when driving in heavy rain, and worry that the straight top, when pointing forward, may take in too much water and damage the engine. I realise that you can turn it around, but don't want to be getting out and turning it all the time. If I leave it pointing permanently backwards, will the engine be losing power because it is not getting a ram air type effect? Or am I just worrying too much?

My actual requirements are :- - Snorkel is primarily for occasional wading only (plus wading kit) - Must be easy to fit, preferably no drilling holes in the wing, unless there is a very good reason to do so, such as a better seal.

Can anybody provide me with snorkel recommendations please?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Gibbs

Dave Hi,

There are several options.

More widely known ones are

  1. Mantec plastic type snorkel with mushroom type air intake. Mantec also makes a full metallic version (which was the first one to be produced for LR vehicles AFAIK). The new plastic one is a bit cheaper but VERY well made.

  1. Safari Snorkel. This is the second most widely known type of snorkel for LR vehicles. It is different from the Mantec in both the design of the body (somewhat box like compared to the tube type of Mantec and other makers of snorkels) and the air intake (which looks like a scoop and can be directed both at the front (for air ramming effect) or at the rear (when it is raining or you wish to avoid getting too much dust to the air filter)

  2. Other newer makers such as Rebel4X4, firstoffroad etc. Most of them make tube like snorkels from steel or even stainless steel.

--------------------

I tend to like the Mantec ones more. To be frank with you both my vehicles (Discos 200Tdi) came from the factory with Mantec snorkels (both being genuine Camel Trophy evented vehicles) so I got to know Mantec first. One more thing to consider about snorkels in general is that your engine will be breathing fresher, cooler and cleaner air since it will be receiving its air supply from a higher position when compared to the standard air intake of the Defender (either on the wing top or the wing side). This will give you a slight performance advantage and for sure a longer life span for your air filter's element.

Take care and Happy New Year. Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

In message , Dave Gibbs writes

I run both types on my 90's

I never have a problem with heavy rain with the safari guard.

Although once I was driving through a gully and managed to dig the top of the snorkel into the ground which instantly filled the air filter with sand !!

So now I run with the top pointing to wards the other side of the car when off road.

My vote goes for the safari guard purely on cosmetic grounds.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I prefer the el cheapo piece of canvas tucked under the bonnet and down over the front of the vehicle to keep the water out of the engine bay. I've "waded" a SIIA using this method for years and my only mishap is when I forget to close the under screen vents and cop a lap full of luke warm slime - or my wife does which is far worse.

Snorkels seem to encourage a vehicle owner to try deeper and deeper water crossings until one day the vehicle floats (for a short time) and needs a full on recovery.

Reply to
Roger & Lorraine Martin

That's why you have to open the downstream door

Reply to
jc