Started the axle strip down...

Loads of little bits of hardening off the failed pinion bearing are likely to have caused some wear in the support bearings.

Reply to
EMB

Are you sure - running in straight line the pinion bearing should have been static and not causing you any problem at all.

Reply to
EMB

I'm trying to get my head around this now, all my experience is saying that's not right.. For instance my IIa with shortened prop and be heard well busy in a straight ling with the FWH engadged. Disengaged and obviously it's shtum... It's no where near shtum when engadged.

In fact it's got to be wrong otherwise how would you drive the wheels?????

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Depends which pinion bearings.

If your talking about the hypoid pinion, those obviously runs all the time.

If your talking about the bearings in the two bevel pinions which actually form the guts of the diff, they only spin when the drive shafts are rotating at different speeds. When straight ahead, those bevel pinions whirl around but do not spin on their own shafts.

Any clearer?

What was the tag line from the US series "SOAP". Something like "Confused?"

David

Reply to
rads

On or around Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:44:30 GMT, rads enlightened us thusly:

those are planet wheels though. Pinion is normally the bit where the drive gets into the diff.

of course, in America, they probably have different names for all of the bits.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well at least I'm less confused, the pinion I'm dealing with is the one which has the prop flange fastened to it. Now I'm not going to have to get my technical lego kit off the top shelf and do a demo am I ;-)

Oh I love photographs... it's so much simpler... just too busy to scratch my arse though at the mo... even this post is in passing the keyboard.

So the lump hammer is definately out the :-(

STEVE!!!!!!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

That's another good point (just to keep you occupied, Lee!) clean out the axle housing as well as you can.

Reply to
Dougal

Dougal uttered summat worrerz funny about:

No probs... it's been flushed with EP90 already and will get a thrice over before I'm done... something which I have in my DNA.. being fussey about clealiness with mechanicals and motors in general...... Why have I got a 101 again? ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I think that you and Lee are talking different pinion bearings!

Lee I'm pretty sure is talking about the pinion which is part of the bevel gear and pinion set which which rotates whenever the propshaft is turning.

It is true that the pinions in the diff. core do not rotate when travelling in a straight line. Not that it there is a separate bearing here (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) the diff. core pinions run directly on the spider/crosshaft.

Reply to
Dougal

No I'm just having an incredibly blonde moment - too little sleep and too much hassle from fuckwits at work has left me partially brain dead.

Reply to
EMB

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Right, Minor progress today, collected the Pinion and bevel gear from the local engineers, they have given it a clean bill of health and pressed on the new bearing.

I got the old bearing seat OD reduced 2 thou too while I was there for mocking up the pinion height to make sure the shims are right to save unecessary beating of the new bearing seat.. Once I know the pinion height is correct with the right amount of shims I'll fit the new seat in place. Should be right but I'm not taking any chances.

Off to a local blacksmiths tomorrow with a design for a spreader, most of it I can build myself but material and holes (big'uns for the bolts to bolt it together in the corners) I'm short of.

For any one still reading and learning spreaders look like this...

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

120 quid for that ? Steve
Reply to
steve

On or around Wed, 26 Jul 2006 01:16:22 +0100, steve enlightened us thusly:

from the looks of it, I could make it for about 20 quid tops. for that money I'd expect a dial gauge built-in...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote: I'd expect a dial gauge built-in...

Digital at that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

As daft as it is, what choice do people have if they haven't the tools?It's the only thing keeping Morph off the road at present, even if I were fool enough to buy the one in the linked add it would still be cheaper than cartingit off to Legs not that there quote was unreasonable given the work.

Thats the only one I could find.

Supply and Demand, they Supply it at that price and I've demanded a load of bits ready to weld up which are now sat in the garage. Just need the bolts.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Which is why Lee's looking elsewhere .....

Reply to
Dougal

Just got the front of mine off, ready to start

Does yours have these grooves ?

Steve

Reply to
steve

I hope that damage was from a previous episode - if it wasn't, it can't have been quiet!

The fact that the bevel gear teeth don't look too bad suggests that this might not be the current event.

It'll be interesting to hear more when you get further in.

Reply to
Dougal

Ir wasn't /isn't :-(

Steve

Reply to
steve

Nope it's not a feature mine has.

I understand Craddocks were doing the crown and pinion relatively cheap. So whats going in there then... tru track?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D