V8 exhaust

Both the middle and rear boxes have failed the mot on my 110 v8, its a 3.5.

It already has tubular mainifolds so this is an opportunity to improve the rest of the system. It does a fair bit off road so a stainlees system is questionnable as may well get ripped off before I get much wear out of it.

Ideas for improving sound and power iutput anyone?

Gerald

Reply to
idris

Dont fit any more than one silencer. The 101 only has the one box and sounds great even with a stock exhaust! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Which is best, middle or back? Standard or different items?

Gerald

Reply to
idris

Back pressure is important in an exhaust system so I understand. Removing a box will affect this. 101's sound great but are not renowned for their performance. I think the idea on the 101 as with the V8 Police carriers (sadly now a thing of the past) was to strike fear in to the hearts of any adversary before slowly trundling up (and breaking down in the case of the carriers!). Any twin exhaust system will need to be balanced , I'm guessing your front pipes already do this and they merge before the boxes?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Want a go in mine now? :) Its quicker off the mark than my car! it feels like its actually got some performance! I got into the fast lane on the M6 on saturday whilst going uphill!

I'll knock on when i'm going past sometime and you can remind yourself what a proper land rover feels like :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Mine's got a TD exhaust on, with the turbo it makes a rather fabulous noise. Best bit is pulling up next to someone in a TDi Disco, eyeing up their "Superchip" type stickers, grinning, and only hitting the turbo coming into play as you're overtaking 'em.

V8 burble followed by turbo wastegate noise tends to piss 'em right off.

Reply to
Pete M

Yes - That does sound like the ideal exhaust noise! :)

My old turbo saab sounds great (with a bigger exhaust and a single silencer), and so does the V8. I can imagine a hybrid of the two is like the ultimate exhaust noise :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well, a turbo on the exhaust can muffle the exhaust note, I've heard a V8 without a turbo and the same v8 with a turbo fitted afterwards and it certainly sounded better without the turbo. The Lotus Esprit V8 has twin turbos and doesn't sound as good as a turboless V8 too. Still sounds nice though!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Turbo = "rotary muffler". The gentleman who bought my last racecar (sans engine) fitted a turbocharged Chev V8 in place of the naturally aspirated V8 I had used. When I drove it after this most of the adrenalin rush had disappeared along with the exhaust note despite it being significantly quicker.

Reply to
EMB

I dont know - If you do the exhaust right you can get a nice burble out of a turbo too. My saab has like a slightly reduced v8 burble by adding a better flowing downpipe and silencer.

On the saab the burble is down to the manifold layout - Its an unequal length one to start with and changing it to an equal length one seems to remove the burble (though increases power i believe).

Perhaps the special 101 manifold increases the amount of v8 burble?

Reply to
Tom Woods

You *can* make a turbo car sound nice, but if you put the same effort into a non-turbo car, it'd sound even nicer ;-) I had it explained to me once, but I forgot the reasoning, but it was something to do with the pops from the cylinders being blended by the turbo and it ruins the harmonics or the angle of the dangle, or whatnot.

Just whack a hole in it!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Plus a fair old whack of energy is being pulled back into the inlet from the outlet- energy lost to nice burbly V8 noises.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Like it won't already have one :)

Reply to
Nige

No, no, we crack them specially.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I always suspected you of having a smoking crack pipe!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings