Astra bubbling water sound

Hi,

Every time I start my astra 1.6 (2000 model) from cold, I get a horrible sound of bubbling water coming from the dash board area or possibly under the bonnet.

I have had 2 astras now - old and new models - and both have had this same problem. Current one has 74000 miles on the clock

The car does loose water aswell, as ive had to top it up a LOT this morning. The bubbling hasnt been too bad in recent months, but over the last couple of days has got really bad.

I do not think the header gasket has gone, and there are no problems with performance or anything like that.

I must be loosing water somewhere, and getting air in - but where??? I cannot find a leak anywhere!

Thanks Matt

Reply to
Mattblack

run the engine with the water cap off, if there are continual bubbles in the bottle it shows a head gasket leak

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I've never noticed the sound of water on any astras, and i've driven and worked on many.

The possibilites are the cylinder head gasket (they;ve got to be really bad to affect performance). Easiest check for this, is to remove the header tank cap (with a cold engine) to make sure there's no pressure in the cooling system. Then replace the cap, and start the engine and let it run (also give it a bit of a rev) for a few minutes. Now slowly remove the cap again. There should be very little if any pressure release as you unscrew the cap. If there's lots of pressure, then chances are the head gasket is the problem (this is more of a problem on the 8valve engines).

Other possibilites are the heater matrix (does there seem to be a build up of moisture inside the car?), or the water pump.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

I've had the bubbling sound in Astras - but IIRC it was *because* the water level was very low. In mine it was the heater matrix which was unpleasant to fix. Didn't really notice the leaked water until winter hit and it failed to dry up in the sun.

Reply to
PC Paul

Could it be due to air in the heater matrix - causing turbulence?

Reply to
john

I had an Astra with a slight leak on the heater matrix. It wasn't a problem until you turned on the demisters then it blew steam over the windscreen!

Reply to
a.n.other

the same thing happened to me and then the head gasket went cost a fortune

Reply to
grahelcurt