Belmont stolen, recovered now?

My only experience of this was with a Mk1 Golf, and we managed to get the top bearing off the column, and remove the remains of the steering lock, which was broken off and jammed in the column.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Hmm, so, assuming I do the same and remove any chance of the lock 'locking up', would the column itself likely to have suffered any damage that would weaken it in general (assuming a replacement might be difficult to get now, I've put a few calls out on Part finder sites tonight).

I could always replace the steering lock function (that was obviously not able to stand the actions of two youths) with a padlock and chain that they would at least need to bring some tools to defeat (or disclok as suggested previously etc). That and a 'hidden' immobiliser switch ... and a 'Trunk Monkey' ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup, drove it back to my mates garage and took it all to bits. The actual steering column is slightly bent (I'm going to see if I can put it in the lathe tonight to see by how much) and as you said the lock hole is /slightly/ opened.

The thing is I'm not sure if it's worth even trying to replace that function as it obviously defeatable without any tools? Same with the lock itself, bypassed when they smashed the switch off the back. I was thinking of just a decent padlock and chain round the seat fame or pedals and wheel , a flashing LED and an actual hidden immobiliser switch.

That's all cleared out now.

By 'the lot' does that (normally) include the outer steering tube and if so that's also held on with security bolts and looks a bugger to get to without removing the binnacle.

If not I guess I can get the lock off the replacement easily once it's on the bench.

They also demolished the indicator stalk (only the switch contacts, balls and springs remain) but luckily the mounting is ok.

The tangs that hold the actual ignition switch into the lock mech were snapped off so it's either a new switch or some epoxy required there.

I've had a few replies via Breakeryard.com for complete columns + lock & key + switch and cowlings for around £60 - £80 delivered.

It was nice to drive it again (apart from the rubbing feeling in the steering) and all our stuff was still in there as it looked like there was only 38 miles on the trip. There was also a 1.3 of a tank of fuel (as we left it) and the £20 still on the floor. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On a trip a couple of years ago to some ropey parts of Brooklyn NY, I was aware of many street garages offering an 'armored steering column collar' fitting service, such is the hot wiring problems they have over there.

e.g.

Adrian C

This wasn't seriously damaged. IIRC the Lock housing got broke, and the lock 'bolt' sheared and jammed. We got a new housing, fished out the bolt and all was well. In those days there were lots of Golf Is in breakers.

As you say, a krooklok type device or a hefty chain is perfectly adequate, unless you really can get the Trunk Monkey.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That was how they did the Golf 1 I mentioned too. It's harder if the lock is engaged- if it isn't you can get enough speed on to shear it as it engages.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Wow, now there's and industrial solution.

I assume they used something like a locking wheel nut on the steering wheel itself? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Funny the Mrs mentioned that tonight ... that 'she didn't always set the steering lock, was she supposed to' sorta thing.

I think I suggested it probably didn't matter either way (and what you say I may have been right).

How good are those handbrake / gear stick locks. I mean, would they slow up the sorta people who took the Astra (I'm thinking they are now cheap on eBay and probably quick and easy to fit / store)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That helps. One breakers I spoke to this morning pointed me to another guy who better caters for 'prehistoric stuff'. ;-)

I was thinking an immobiliser system that made it run on three cylinders might be a good idea. It would let them start, drive and park it up but not go fast enough to get too far quickly or make it 'fun'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m