Best Rated threads in Car Maintenanceshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Vauxhall Combo Duel Fuel 1.6
I drive the above vehicle, it is a 2003 plate with 190'000 Miles, Recently on start up (cold start) there has been a noticeable plume of smoke which has an oily smell which quickly clears. The engine...

GKN Laycock on-car wheel balancer
Hi all, I've just aquired an old on-car wheel balancer, but no instructions. Has anyone used one of these, and could help? I think it's from the 1970s, with a fibreglass cover, a seat which looks like...
9
9

VW 1.8 hot starting problem.
This has happened 5 times in the last week, so something is going wrong somewhere. VW 1.8 20v non-turbo. Engine starts fine cold. Runs well, no problems at all. Come back to it after being parked for...
4
4

Tax on a 2.0L ldv petrol convoy 400 crewbus
Hi Anyone know what the road tax is for the above? Twin wheel at rear if that makes a diff
9
9

Anyone tried AUTO-RX additives to stop oil leaks?
The Auto-RX website says an engine needs the additive for 2500 miles, then an oil change with only fresh oil (no synthetic), and then another 3000 miles, for a main seal leak to stop. Doesn't make...
4
4

A list of cars with Astronomical names
Ford Orion Ford Galaxy Mercury Saturn Ford Comet any more?
13
13

Fiesta 1.3 revs cycling
Been driving the wifes fiesta - always been a nice little car. Pulled out a bit sharp into traffic, then felt like I'd gained cruise control - stuck at 35mph in 4th - checke the obv, floor mats, stuck...
10
10

Micra 1.0L Immobiliser Query
Hello Thanks for any advice in advance Car is a Nissan Micra 1.0 litre 1999 on an S reg used as a cheap runabout. I got in the car last Friday and tried to start the car and the car started for 2...
11
11

1.8D endura problem
HI, I have a probelm with my T reg Fiesta 35 van, which has the 1.8D Endura engine. Back in january I didn't use it because of the snow for about a week and when I tried to start it it wouldn't start....
5
5

c3 vacuum leak/egr problem
Hi, Thanks to the advice from Mr Cheerful and rp, I have been trying to follow the vacuum hose from the pump on my 16v 1.4L diesel Citroen c3. The hose runs from the pump to the brakes via a tee. The...

rustproofing in north-west
Anyone recommend someone to rustproof and underseal a Mk1 Eunos Roadster? I'm in Handforth. Sills, cavities, underseal etc. I've come across Chassisclean in Altrincham who look great and very very...
9
9

Ford Focus 1998 1.8tdi oil type and capacilty
As the subject Sons car no hand book Need engine oil type and capacity what cheapish oil would the panel recommend Regards
6
6

Peugeot 306 HDi code reader
I'm looking for a code reader/scanner for a 1999 Pug 306, if it could reset the airbag light it would be a bonus :) Does anyone have any cheapish recommendations ? Thanks in advance :)
3
3

Coolant loss mk4 golf
I was doing my 2 weekly checks under the bonet and topping up etc. I noticed my coolant is down to just above the minimum marker. 2 weeks ago it was just under the max marker. I'm guessing I have a...
7
7

vauxhall astra windscreen wash jets
Hi, My GF has recently bought a 2006 Astra and her father has a 2008 Astra. When we wash the screen hardly any screen wash sprays out and there is a horrible smell, like something burning. We asked...
9
9

Focus 1.8 year 2000 Gear Lever
The gear lever on my Focus 1.8 (December 2000) has lost the 'spring' that holds it between 3rd and 4th when in neutral. Is this a fault within the gearbox :-( or a broken bit of elastic somewhere :-)...
2
2

Which grease is happy with rubber ?
I am going ot be changing some rubber bushes and was told not to apply them dry and to use a rubber friendly grease on the inside of the anti roll bar bushes to avoid squeaks. The only grease I have...
3
3

Petrol Treatment
Hello All Picked up a couple of bottles of Silver Hook brand Petrol treatment (basically injector cleaner)from Rates Ford Parts - only about £2.50 a bottle. Is this stuff any good considering its...
7
7

mk4 golf juddering on braking
mk4 golf 1.6 auto T reg When braking at about 50 there is an auwful but controllable judder on the steering wheel and the car then pulls to the left ? Booked in at the garage but curious what it is ?...
3
3

Unsmoothed car battery charger - is it crap?
My car battery is oversized for the car. The battery is a bit old but usually works fine. The battery is flat (I left the lights on). My fancy new modern charger senses a poor battery and only puts in...
107
107