budget tyres

That just shows how much you know about tyres, all Metro cab tyres have to be marked *Taxi* .

Reply to
Fred

Fred (Don' snipped-for-privacy@hidden.co.us) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So these cheap teflon budget tyres you sell to the cheapskates are actually completely different to the cheap teflon budget tyres on the OP's Astra? OK... Glad we got that straight.

Reply to
Adrian

That has never worked for Kwik-fit and owns an MOT test station that also fit's tyres, and your claim to knowing what you are spouting is based on the fact that you are simple.

Reply to
Fred

Volkswagen are cheapskates? I am struggling here to understand how someone as dumb as you can type.

Reply to
Fred

At least two. And anyway, it's not a system of voting. Many posters may reasonably feel the inanity of the discussion makes it not worth their while to join in.

Doesn't Fred also sells premium tyres? If you walked through the door, I'm sure he'd be more than happy for you to choose whatever tyres you wanted.

Reply to
Ben C

Not really, but don't let me stop you enjoying your self

Not really, I employ other people to do that.

Reply to
Fred

Come on Dopey do try and keep up, I'm getting bored now

Reply to
Fred

Fred

Unfortunately for you, that's incorrect.

But so much of the stuff you post is crap, so it wasn't really a surprise.

I think you'll find that the tyres have to be of an approved minimum circumference to ensure the taximeter is metering accurately. There's no requirement for the word taxi to be stamped on the side.

Reply to
SteveH

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:35:20 -0000, Fred >> they

Actually "If not fitted with 'taxi' tyres, vehicle tyres must be of appropriate speed and weight rating and compatible with meter", which in practice means you're best off buying taxi tyres, but it's not a requirement.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That's fine, until you look at the margins offered by budget brands compared with premium brands.

Reply to
SteveH

I am a tyre dealer and I sell all brands, I make more profit out of so called brand names than I do so called budgets. I don't like people who slate all budget tyres yet know nothing about the subject, the OP has no reason to worry or waste money changing tyres.

Reply to
Fred

Unless the law has changed recently all London cabs/Metro taxis must have the word *Taxis* stamped on the side wall to operate as a Taxi..

Reply to
Fred

Fred

Shut up dopey:

Ms Glenda Jackson: 6-ply-rated tyres are specified for London taxis by their manufacturers to ensure that they have the appropriate load and speed characteristics and adequate wear resistance, particularly at the shoulders. The Public Carriage Office requires the tyres to be marked "taxi" to indicate that they are approved for use on London taxis and are of the appropriate circumference to ensure accurate meter readings.

Fred

Fred > looking a bit rough), but you also appear to be well behind the times on

See the 'London' bit - that's a clue as to where there is a specific requirement. Elsewhere, this does not apply.

Reply to
SteveH

As of October IIRC.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Do you have a link to that?

Reply to
Fred

the only difference I can see it making is it becomes legal to use 8 plys, which IME last longer, but then I probably move more weight than a taxi.

Reply to
Duncan Wood