budget tyres

Realistically the only difference I can see it making is it becomes legal > to use 8 plys, which IME last longer, but then I probably move more weight > than a taxi.

It looks like a Grey area to me, the Meter is governed by the tyres and

*Taxi* tyres are 6 ply not 8 ply. That does not have to affect the rolling radius but it could do?. The company that I supply ( Which is not based in London) still insist on tyres that are marked Taxi. But thanks for the heads up on that as I had not seen it.
Reply to
Fred

So, to which degree to you stop buying better and better then Adrian? It's arse-talk to pretend you've got amazing tyres on all your vehicles, because you don't. You've probably got mid-range. What if having even better tyres on your car if you hit someone, as you suggested who has walked off a kerb, could have stopped you sooner and prevented hitting them?

It's all relative. REALLY s**te tyres are just that, really s**te, normal 'acceptable' budget tyres are a fair compromise, especially to people who plan ahead appropriately when driving.

Reply to
David R

Do you and Adrian use Lube?

Reply to
Fred

"Some notes on buying a tyre"

Lin Chung

On this prima facie evidence alone, *all* the on-car tyre tests are useless in gauging how a specific tyre would fare on *your* car! It would be interesting to test, by swapping the two sets of Kumho, whether there is absolutely no material difference.

Reply to
Lin Chung

David R (david snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm glad you've checked all the fleet".

Exactly one of my fleet doesn't have Michelins fitted all round. It's got Firestones, and they're not a patch on Michs size-to-size, which is why it's gone up a size.

The Firestones are getting towards the end of their life, and will be being replaced by Michelins.

Reply to
Adrian

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I wonder if he also sees the "1997/98" bit in the URL?

Reply to
Adrian

Lin Chung ( snipped-for-privacy@the.Water.Margin.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, that's "some notes on buying a *TIRE*"

This isn't America.

Reply to
Adrian

Lin Chung ( snipped-for-privacy@the.Water.Margin.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

*ding*

Every time I've done exactly that, the budget tyres have been utter s**te in comparison to even half-decent name brand.

Reply to
Adrian

The point of the experiment is to have the same tyre on different cars, not different tyres on the same car.

If my pound coin does not disengage the coin lock on the first supermarket trolley, but does so without problem on the second, I would conclude that the first trolley is faulty. In 'Stuffed's case where the tyre on the first car performed badly and on the second car well, I would conclude that the first *car* was faulty. The coin is basically sound. The Kumho tyres were also basically sound, sticking to the road "like velcro to a sheep" (assuming both sets of Kumho were identical, i.e. the one(s) on the Rover were not out of specs.)

'Stuffed' has drawn an illogical conclusion from his tyre experience.

Reply to
Lin Chung

Would you like a carrot?

But Colway (and a few other remould companys) do supply me with *Off Road* tyres.

The carrot is still available if you are peckish?

- especially one that's

Kumho have an extensive range of Motorsport tyres, if Bernie had not changed the rules Kumho tyres would have been used in F1 this year.

They also fly to pieces and go out of shape if they were made on a damp day.

Reply to
Fred

You're full of shit, Adwian. As usual.

Reply to
Hooch

That link is well out of date, it has Barum as a low end tyre. Barum is a tyre brand of Continental and is no longer classed as a low end tyre.

Fred

Yet Colway do a cracking motorsport tyre and HGVs do billions of km per year on remoulds. AFAIK, some aircraft also use them although I'm not certain on that.

Reply to
Conor

Where did someone mention the Highway Code ?

Reply to
Tony Bond

Where does it say it anywhere other than above. They're not just for cars and never have been.

Reply to
Duncan Wood