Citroen AX 1100 K reg wiring

Just a couple of questions. This is a an LPG conversion.

  1. I need to connect to the negative side of the coil. Low tension.

The coil where the spark plug leads leave has a connector that has one small green wire and 3 yellow wires. (Strange why not 4 unless in two cylinders take the feed from one wire and get fired twice a revolution I assume?). Can I just connect the wire to any of these wires?

  1. The injector I need to switch the injector off with a relay. I notice in the throttle body there is a connector (2 wires) going to a device directly in front of where the throttle opens will this be the injector? I have looked at the wiring and I was expecting larger wires going to it to switch it. I assume I can start the engine on petrol and disconnect this and if the engine stops I've got the injector.
Reply to
david.cawkwell

Just one question.

Why?

Reply to
SteveH

Reply to
Ian

snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote in news:1124016880.809447.65710 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If you don't mind me saying, it seems a rather old and small engined car to be bothering with a LPG conversion. Most people who convert to LPG do so with newer, larger engined vehicles, where they anticipate long term/high mileage ownership and stand to gain a big saving on fuel expense. Not that it's any of my business. Perhaps you're doing it because you can get all the equipment for nothing and you intend to install it yourself?

Reply to
Stu

Complete and utter bollocks.

Reply to
SimonJ

Not so sure about that.

It's a modification which would need to be declared, and the insurance company would want to see a certificate showing that it has been properly installed.

If you either don't declare it or fail to get it certified, then insurance would be cancelled.

Reply to
SteveH

There should be 2 yellow wires on the coil, connected to pins 1 & 2, these are connected to pins 1 & 19 respectively on the ECU. Either one of these can be used to give your coil signal. Note that these only give a pulse once each every revolution, rather than twice per revolution as on a conventional coil. This may give you problems with the LPG setup, e.g. if the engine has to be revved to a certain speed to get it to switch to gas after the initial start, then the speed will need to be doubled. If this is a problem, you will need to connect to both wires, to get 2 signals per revolution, using a pair of diodes to prevent the signal crossing to the other yellow wire.(connect the cathodes(the end with the band) of the diodes to each yellow wire, connect the anodes together and to your coil signal wire on the LPG kit)

The other 2 connections to the coil are pin 3, ign switched live(yellow and red), and pin 4, suppressor.(green and black)

The injection body should have a 6 pin connector, located just under the throttle cable. The pins are..........

1) Green, Ignore 2) Yellow, Injector, ign live feed. 3) Yellow, Injector, ECU switched earth. Connected to pin 18 on the ECU. 4) Green, Ignore 5) Brown, Ignore 7) Green, Ignore.

Either pin 2 or 3 can be cut to switch off the injector, this may however give an Engine Management Fault light on the dashboard, if the ECU detects that there is no current flowing through the injector. The solution to this is to measure the resistance of the injector, and switch a suitable resistor across the injector wiring using the normally open contact on the relay.

Reply to
SimonJ

I did my own conversion, was not certified, was no problem whatsoever with the insurance company.

Reply to
SimonJ

Fills me with confidence that there's home-brew gas conversions out there.

It's pretty dangerous stuff, I'd definitely want to know that all conversions were done properly, not hacked together by an amateur in their shed.

Reply to
SteveH

Don't know if it me. But none of the colour codes match my car. Seems to be the thing with citroen.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Because I already have the kit. Just moving it from car to car. Pays back virtually straight away. Taken the kit out of my Citroen AX F reg. Before that it was in a Proton 1300.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

*shakes head*

WHY?, ffs, WHY?

I can understand it in some gas-guzzling V6 / V8, but in a crappy pensioner's shopping trolley with an engine barely bigger than a bike engine?

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Some friends have LPG-converted a 2cv...

Reply to
Adrian

So you think that all DIY on cars should be banned then?

There are far more dangerous things than tanks of LPG. (tanks of petrol for instance)

Reply to
SimonJ

I'd certainly want to see evidence the tank was properly mounted in the boot. I've seen some real bodge jobs done even by professionals.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Exactly. So why should a DIY be any worse than a "professional" job?

After all, a dodgy pro knows he's never going to see the damn thing again, whereas the DIYer knows he's going to be driving it 20,000 miles per year himself. Vested interests, innit?

Reply to
Adrian

Hmmmm, I suppose I look at it from this point of view.....

Will the kind of person fitting LPG to a 1.1AX really be the kind of person who'll do the job properly, including spending the money on bits specific to that application? If you're so tight that you'll stick LPG in something as economical as a 1.1AX, then you're the kind of person who'll bodge things rather than buy the correct bits, IYSWIM.

Reply to
SteveH

DIY cars have to go through SVA testing.

Reply to
Conor

LOL!

I'd like to nominate this thread for thread of the year :o)

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Don't be so silly.