Combo/Astra 1.6 Gearlinkage

I have a Combo 1.6Petrol/LPG van.

Every now and again the ball joint on the gearlinkage will pop apart, whilst it is a easy and simple task to pop the back into place I'm getting fed up with it.

My usual local mechanic (my former scout master) says it is a common fault on this engine and gearbox and a repair kit is available. Autovaux quoted the following...

"We can supply a repair kit for the linkage, which is all the pivoting centre section with ball joints & plastic rod, price is £35.33 + vat Alternatively complete linkage is around £70 + vat"

Can anyone give the benefit of their experience is the kit a good fix or should I go the whole hog and fit the new linkage.

I haven't had much experience with gear linkage repairs can anybody offer any tips and methodology.

TIA

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

fit the whole bit, life is too short to mess about

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What age of Combo?

Reply to
moray

I used a cable tie and that lasted the next 2 owners, 10 years.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Doh!

53 Plate

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

I think we fit the complete linkage. Certainly we just phone up vauxhall and ask for the gear linkage.

It involves slackening the clamp bolt of the pipe from the lever, bursting the plastic retaining cap of the centre pivot (new linkage comes with a new cap), and taking the pin out where it connects onto the gearbox linkage (that's the most awkward part - at the non-rivetted end of the pin, you need to press the sprung wire retaining clip in, while levering the pin out). But I honestly don't know if they class that as the complete linkage, or just a repair kit. The new ones a modified version anyway,with heavier duty ball joints.

Reply to
moray

So I Believe, I don't suppose it is a free recall job is it? Or just the usual we made a shit product and you bought it so live with it job?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Not a chance! I could tell you why vauxhall are now selling the heavy duty linkage in the UK, but I can't be bothered typing it all out!

But it was a calculated cost saving item, which was brought to light by a certain company who's drivers can kill anything within a very short time span.

Reply to
moray