Daft question about Escorts

I always thought TDI stood for Turbocharged Direct Injection, with the "diesel" bit just sort of being assumed, as no-one would badge a petrol engine as a TDI!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

But TDI could equally apply to a petrol engine..... hence the Mitsubishi GDI lumps - only the GDI doesn't have a turbot.

I always assumed TDI to be Turbo Diesel Injection, but the above looks more likely, given that non-intercooled examples tend to be badged TD.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from "DervMan" contains these words:

Is it possible to downgrade from a Corsa?

Reply to
Guy King

The only reasoning I can actually come up with, other than what I think to be true, is that you get direct injection diesels labelled as "DI" whereby diesels have had injectors for god knows how long (indirect injection) and so have technically been "diesel injection" for ages, hence DI stands for direct injection .

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "AstraVanMan" saying something like:

DI is Direct Injection, true, and only now has direct injection started to make (or will shortly make) an appearance on petrol engines, so any older car badged DI would by default be a diesel, and the T for turbo.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

LMAO!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

For the most part - when other manufacturers were starting to introduce mainstream direct injection engines, Ford cottoned on to the "badge upgrade" punters. But the "I" in the "TDI" means Intercooled. The Focus TDdi means "turbocharged diesel direct injection" (or something very similar, but it's academic, 'cos people know what they mean!).

Reply to
DervMan

SWMBO has a P-reg 1.6 Escort and it does everything asked of it perfectly well. It's not the fastest thing on the road but it'll return

45mpg on a long mixed run.

It's certainly streets ahead of the S-reg Nissan Primera I took out at the weekend - chronically heavy clutch; the stiffest gear change I've ever come across (real pudding stirring stuff); over sensitive throttle; ghastly suspension and a dire turning circle.

The first three items made it almost impossible to change gear smoothly. The throttle made it impossible to match revs as it was either at idle or, with a minimal touch of the pedal, 3000 rpm. Catching the revs on the way down as you changed up wasn't feasible as the gearstick was too stiff to move quickly (2nd & 5th were particularly bad).

Then there was the suspension. Before driving this I'd never been sure what motoring jounos meant when they used the phrase "crashing" or "crashed" when refering to a car's ability to handle an uneven road surface. Now I have I can see exactly what they mean. Twice this thing crashed through minor dents in the road as if it had been dropped from a height. And one of these was at 12mph. I'm used to hard, sporty suspension, I'm used to softer suspension but I've never come across something that wasn't either. These were on roads where SWMBOs Escort & my BMW cope perfectly well.

Reply to
Scott M

The message from "DervMan" contains these words:

Or like many of us - don't care! Mine's got DLX Turbo on the back - but I only know that 'cos I just got up and had a look out of the window.

Reply to
Guy King

Quite! But I'm sure _some_ people bought the TDI rather than the TD 'cos their neighbour / friend / colleague bought the TD...

Reply to
DervMan

The message from "DervMan" contains these words:

The world's full of very sad people, innit.

Reply to
Guy King

Very much so! ;)

Reply to
DervMan

Yes, I'm biassed against diesels; prejudiced, dieselophobic, smellosnobic, oiloscobic, dervorobic and turdiomphic.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Johannes H Andersen saying something like:

You wouldn't say that if you were running on biodiesel. Nice smelling fuel (vaguely nutty), nice smelling exhaust (like standing round the back of a bakery that's making doughnuts).

So stick that in your pipe.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

LOL! I had a 1990 Orion which leaned round corners and burned oil. Does that count as 'lean burn' too? ;o)

Reply to
Carl Bowman

ROFL.

I recall Ford's "lean burn" CVH donk bits, heh.

Reply to
DervMan

On 27-Jun-04 21:30:01, DervMan said

Well.... okay... but my '87 Escort Ghia 1.6 CVH was great. It went round the clock and could still turn in 400 miles on one tank, which I thought was quite good.

Any idea when the cut-off point was?

1.8 LX.... got that! :)

okay, the Focus?

Very much so, many thanks.

What's the matter? Too sophisticated for a bit of Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 link-up action??? :)

I'll be calling in tonight.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Hmm, perhaps; older designs cared less for the environment and more for the economy / performance. More modern designs are less economical (to a point).

In 1998, more or less. The issue or problem was caused by the wrong grade of oil being used.

They're not especially common - until Ford introduced their "one price" scheme (which was very quietly dropped, heh) they were rather more expensive than the 1.6 and 1.4 versions. :(

Deliberately ignored because of your budget - but they rock, in my opinion. Kinda kick the Escort into touch in every respect.

Oh the memories, especially of the atmospheric foggy race, and the ice, which made the steering very sensitive. :)

My A1200 is sat next to me, in perfect working condition... :)

Hehehe.

Reply to
DervMan

On 29-Jun-04 20:44:59, DervMan said

Understood..... to the untrained eye (or ear) how will the sticking valve thing manifest itself? If I'm buying an Escort, its easy to hear in the engine sound?

I don't think I'd get a Mondeo in me garage. :)

Good point, well made.

Truly you are a man of taste and learning. :)

I just with there had been a decent Rally game.

For bikes Super Hang-On was great though.

I'm typing this on mine. :)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Good question! It'll run like a dog with two legs...

/wonders if it's possible to get WiFi cards for the Miggy/

Reply to
DervMan