Four hundred quid!

In Yooros. That's what it cost me today for a cambelt, two idlers, a water pump, a thermostat and alternator brushes for my ShiteOldToyota. Still, I happily stumped up the dealer prices, as it's not worth cheapskating on a cambelt. I won't be changing the water pump next time, that's for sure.

Tomorrow I'll lift off the alternator and do the brushes, in the hope that's all it needs - it's getting to be a pita charging the battery every day.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Worn out brushes are unlikely, IMHO. Unless it has done a vast mileage. Most likely thing to stop it charging is the regulator.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd say *always* change the water pump.

I've just finished replacing a 5 cylinder VW diesel engine after the water pump seized, which wasn't replaced when the previous owner had the cambelt replaced, about 20k miles ago. The cambelt had no teeth left, following the pump's bearing collapsing while the car was doing 70ish. The damage to the valves and camshaft etc is severe.

First thing we did to the replacment engine (from a scrappie) was to fit a new cambelt and water pump! Car now running again, but a lot of work on a FWD car...

Reply to
AlanD

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "AlanD" saying something like:

I was just about to write that this engine's waterpump is driven from the flat side of the belt, then realised that probably wouldn't help anyway, as a collapsed bearing would have the belt flapping about and loosely jumping over the teeth of the cogs anyway. Buggerit. I do recall mention somewhere on a Toyota forum that the w'pump need only be done every second belt.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What ever car its is you should always read the service intervals of all the components of that particular car. They tend to be quite accurate in there predicted life span.

You will see a timing belt replacement at 60, 70, 80 -- 120000km and sure as eggs they will fail shortly after that period.

So if it says xxxxxxx km in the book, make sure its been done or change it yourself, don't say its OK won't happen to me.

Reply to
Rob

It's driven by the toothed side.

The engine is a 2.5L 5 cylinder diesel, as usually found in late 90's Audi A6's and transporter vans. This particular example was in a 1999 Volvo S80 - I think Volvo didn't have their own 5 pot diesel back then.

It's my father-in-laws car, and it was a marginal case of whether to break the car up and sell it in parts or repair it. We decided to repair it as the car is in excellent condition and we found a suitable engine within budget, and as he is between contracts has time to fix it.

Reply to
AlanD

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "AlanD" saying something like:

No, I meant mine. Somewhere I have the Toyota workshop manual for the engine, but it's been 'tidied away' somewhere in the past couple of years. Iirc, it had waterpump replacement intervals in it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon