How much would people on this newsgroup be prepared to pay for a gallon of fuel?

just looked at the website , All the customer names are exactly as the customers themselves spell them even to the capitalization

Reply to
steve robinson

So you think that spending £2500 and a few weeks (?) training to get into a career that a fairly large proportion of the world (what, 10% to

40% at a guess) could do if given said training, and requires a demand for large amounts of goods travelling around the world by internal combustion engine is a good and complete carrer plan?

I have spent many years and, if you include the time spent on low pay when I could be earning more, many thousands of pounds getting to a position were I feel I can compete against anyone anywhere in the world in my field, yet never have felt sucure enough in affording either a morgage or children so have forgon those luxuries. I have always shared accomodation.

If you feel you are unable or unwilling to compete on a european level then you really should think about your life plan, and if that means a carear change at 50 something then you may be in trouble.

It is not about that, it is about the country not carrying an inefficent industry.

It seems to me there are 2 classes of complaint:

- UK regulations, or poles not following EU regulations. I am all for deregulation, and tightening up enforcement if absolutely needed. You have to wonder why poles are so capable of getting away with flouting UK regulations in the uk, are these not criminal laws? That is were we should put our effort.

- Differing tax schemes around europe, or some people willing to work for less or have poorer working conditions. This is what cometition is about. I would love to live in a world where everyone had enough to eat and could live a full and happy life, but I do not. Everyone has to learn that noone owes them a job and they had better make sure they can compete, and nowadays that means in a global marketplace.

Reply to
David Jones

On Wed, 7 May 2008 18:37:06 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Conor:

There are only about 250,000 UK registered lorries.

Reply to
Alex Buell

Very easy most of the offences they commit are non or rarely arrestable in the uk once out the uk he police do not chase the culprits up as its not cost effective to chase them , Polish driving licences are very easy to get , you can buy them on the net for a few pounds , to all intense and purposes they are genuine , the uk police cannot varyfy these licences at the roadside or endorse or apply points to them o

On a level playing field the british workforce is one of the best in the world

Reply to
steve robinson

If so many people can do it, how come the failure rate is so high=20 especially when you consider the applicants have been driving years so=20 it's not like a learner car driver

How is it inefficient? There are 10,000 FEWER lorries than in the 50's=20 shifting over twice the tonnage five times the distance despite more=20 and more rules being introduced which have reduced the amount of work a=20 driver can do. Also it's an industry working with profit margins=20 typically of 3%. You don't last long if you're not efficient.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

450,000 actually. There were 460,000 in 1959.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

I wonder just how much is down to the friggin' numpties on the trading floors, shouting and screaming at each other worse than a kids tea-party in a zoo - easy to mis-hear and put the price up I would think :o)

Seriously though, it seems that prices are driven up by *worries* about this and *fears* about that, and the *possibility* of the other - the *actual* situation hasn't *actually* happened, but the fact that something *may* happen pushes prices up. And then the media talk it up even further.

Reply to
John

You looking at a different website to me?

Have a google for some of the names on there to see how the customers present their names to the public.

I can see 11 names. 9 of them look wrong.

White hall Blue Diamond Bible college of wales Coventant Ministries Druckers Bags etc Coventry University Crosby homes Crane care Solihull education Radstock coop

Then fix it, and fix the insane width while you're at it...

Reply to
Clive George

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes...? And...?

What's so special about this load that it can only be carried on a wagon with Polish plates?

Surely, if the EU ones are that hooky, the VOSA people there ARE would be focussing on 'em?

If running their own fleet's that unprofitable, mebbe it's time to outsource it to a dedicated logistics company?

Reply to
Adrian

"John" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Shame that hasn't happened for a decade or more, eh?

Reply to
Adrian

But we do live in a world of finite resources and ever spiraling demand from huge emerging markets such as China and India, so from the point of view of raw materials and commodities it's increasingly becoming a seller's market. I still blame governments of all political persuasions, as they should have seen it all coming years ago, however they are only interested in the short term lining of pockets and the 'if you vote for me things can only get better' attitude.

Reply to
Ivan

No i am looking at the purchase orders and other letterheads i have on file

As i have already said however it is in the process of being changed and updated

Its not unusual for there to be differing spellings between web sites and hard copy material , once the site is finished they will be corrected

Reply to
steve robinson

Well I find it hard to belive that less than 10% of the population are capable of driving a HGV, but I could be wrong. What is clear is that there are more people who can than there are jobs for them, or this would not be a problem.

Because it is (apparently) being out competed by the polish haulage industry. Whether this is because of goverment regulation, taxation, or differing acceptable working conditions (or all 3) is the question. To claim it is because of fuel tax, as this is the one thing that is the same no matter where the lorry is registered seems a liitle odd.

Reply to
davidjones

Steve.

Why are you changing the headings for each reply? You're making my newsreaders window a right mess with all these extra 'threads' appearing.

Oh, and can you snip some of the old messages, please?

Reply to
Salty

I've done veg picking, and I've done the sums on what it costs me to live. It's hard work, but it's not back breaking. It's infinitely preferable to working in a factory. Neither are jobs I would want to do for my whole life. £7 an hour is a good wage - it's perfectly possible to live a very comfortable life on minimum wage, if you're willing to rent and share a flat. I have friends who shared a flat, both on minimum wage, considered to be in poverty according to Govt stats, but regularly ate in restaurants and drank good wine.

Reply to
Doki

Bollocks. We have full employment in the UK.

FWIW the average degree must cost in the order of £30k once fees, loans and loss of earnings for 3 years are considered. Do you see graduates without jobs moaning about how the industry they trained for should be protected by the Govt?

Reply to
Doki

Fairly regularly, but normally those who actually work for the government.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I am not changing the headings

Reply to
steve robinson

Sorry but the site is shit. Not the business I'm sure, just the site. It could NOT have been written by anyone who has an ounce of knowledge of good web design. (I've done a little, I'm not a pro. This is my site...

but business is bad.) If it was,get your money back. Problems...

Fixed width, seemingly fixed as wide as my widescreen monitor! *I* have to scroll sideways to see stuff on my 22" widescreen so what happens to those who have older 14 or 15" monitors? Or PDA's or net enabled mobiles.

Garish colours.

No description as to what the site is about on arrival.

No 'layout'; no structure, menu or obvious way of finding 'stuff'.

Does not validate as good code through the validator of the web standards people.

I won't go on. Have a look at these links to see what is and isn't good practice for web design, and WHY. There are reasons that great looking sites are not GOOD sites for the business. If you haven't the time then get a minion to do it but do it.

Oh, and now VERY off topic on the original thread! :)

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Well something is:

How much would people on this newsgroup be preparedtopayforagallon of fuel?

How much would people on this newsgroup be prepared to pay fora gallon of fuel?

How much would people on this newsgroup be prepared to payforagallon of fuel?

How much would people on this newsgroup be prepared to pay foragallon of fuel?

How much would people on this newsgroup be prepared to pay for agallon of fuel?

This makes each reply from you come up as a new thread. Does this not show on your reader? Oh well, it's not the end of the world. And thanks for snipping.

Reply to
Mike Barnard