How much would people on this newsgroup be prepared to pay for a gallon of fuel?

I know , i havent seen the site for a few weeks and it has been altered

What i picked up is some of the web site logos and hard copy logos are different

Reply to
steve robinson

steve robinson

"steve robinson" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Steve,

Seriously, mate...

If you can't tell the difference between...

"White hall" and "White Hall" (White Hall where/what?) "Bible college of wales" and "Bible College of Wales" "Coventant Ministries" and "Covenant Ministries" "Bags etc" and "Bags etc." (or even the equally illiterate "Bags ETC." they style themselves) "Crosby homes" and "Crosby Homes" "Crane care" and "Crane Care" "Solihull education" and "Solihull Metropolitan Council, Education & Learning" "Radstock coop" and "Radstock Co-op" (or Radstock Cooperative Society)

...then you really aren't the right person to be proof-reading the site.

Reply to
Adrian

As i said Adrian i hadnt seen the site for a few weeks and i hadnt proof read it , when i looked all the client details were correctly matched to the details i have on file (sales orders , enquiries etc from hard copies faxes and emails ) . These can be different to the logos on thier web presence i should have checked before i gave him the details .I have been assured that everything will be soughted shortly by the web designer including checking the grammer of the text and apparently the need to scroll from side to side , the person now doing the site has only recently took it on and is trying to sought oout the mess and redesign it .

I will be looking at the new site but it will be proof read by someone who is more able than me .

Reply to
steve robinson

Indeed, the vast majority of my family weekly mileage is mine and work-related so I'll simply stop using my own car and start using hire cars instead. There will be a cutover point where the pence per mile paid won't cover the fuel and running costs of the car (which I haven't calculated yet...) so once it hits this I'll just switch over.

As for personal miles; the cost of fuel has come up but my mortgate has come down by about 60 quid a month recently so that more than covers the extra fuel. I know that doesn't work out long term but I had a seven grand payrise earlier in the year... If it gets to a point that I have to worry hard about buying fuel I guess I (and the world) will have more on my mind than just 'do I take the car'!

Reply to
Abo

Which is why they made so much profit in the first quarter this year

Reply to
Abo

Replying to my own post... I reckon £2 a litre is when I'd start using a hire car, unless the EU decided to up the pence/mile payment.

Reply to
Abo

I wouldn't give up my car, but I would have to give up working for a company in an industry I have 10years+ experience of, in a company where I am pretty appreciated and I enjoy working for, in an office that is pretty comfortable, and a not bad area, and find a job in walking distance, in a different trade, starting again, for far lower money, in less comfortable surroundings, and save the car for emergencies.

Reply to
Elder

With the millions you've squirrelled away because you are always telling us you are highest paid people in the country and how you wouldn't get out of bed for less than a million an hour plus stop over because there is a massive driver shortage and you can name your own ransom.

Reply to
Elder

No, last week/month/year when you were bragging about the driver shortage, where you could shove a trailer up the transport manager's arse sideways, and still be begged to come back Monday.

Reply to
Elder

Well it should be. Not exactly business like branding/marketing to not copy proof anything before committing it to publication/hard copy.

Reply to
Elder

There are other means of getting about you know - hit two wheels, powered if it's a bit far. Obviously it'll have to be a pootly machine rather than something you'd be proud to be seen on, but who cares? It's just commuting.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Elder wrote: || In article , || ivan'H' snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk says... ||| this got me wondering just how ||| much it would have to reach before people on this newsgroup reached ||| a point where they would be seriously thinking about giving up ||| their car? ||| || I wouldn't give up my car, but I would have to give up working for a || company in an industry I have 10years+ experience of, in a company || where I am pretty appreciated and I enjoy working for, in an office || that is pretty comfortable, and a not bad area, and find a job in || walking distance, in a different trade, starting again, for far || lower money, in less comfortable surroundings, and save the car for || emergencies.

Driving through Bristol yesterday I saw one garage selling diesel at £1.29.9 pence per litre! the price doesn't appear to be going in a downward spiral just yet, however if the Western economies take a severe enough hit then naturally demand will drop and presumably so will the price so will oil prices, which in turn will make it easier for the said economies to recover, thereby increasing demand for oil which will in turn force the price up again, so from now on I see everyday life becoming a lot more interesting, a bit like like riding a roller-coaster in fact :o)

Reply to
Ivan

Are you mad? You must be a lottery winner then. Current prices are at breaking point. £10 per litre would mean £16250 per annum in my case just for fuel to drive to work. I would need an extra income of £27,083 just to support this single cost item. Then add Road Tax and insurance plus cost of maintenance and car renewal.

Reply to
johannes

johannes wrote: || Ivan wrote: ||| ||| A few short months ago the prospect of diesel fuel breaking through ||| the £1.00 a litre barrier appeared to be unlikely, but with it now ||| costing over £1.20 a liter that's nudging £5.50 a gallon, this got ||| me wondering just how much it would have to reach before people on ||| this newsgroup reached a point where they would be seriously ||| thinking about giving up their car? .. My own threshold would be ||| somewhere around £10.00 a gallon and that would be it. || || Are you mad? You must be a lottery winner then. Current prices are at || breaking point. £10 per litre would mean £16250 per annum in my case || just for fuel to drive to work. I would need an extra income of || £27,083 just to support this single cost item. Then add Road Tax and || insurance plus cost of maintenance and car renewal.

I was of course only referring to my own set of personal circumstances, 'fortunately' retired, mortgage paid off along with careful budgeting and running a diesel, which according to manufacturer's spec can deliver around

63 mpg [presumably with some 'very' careful driving:o)] therefore around 70/100 miles of motoring a week for £20.00 wouldn't represent too much of a hardship to me, although I can well see how desperate the situation would be for others at that sort of cost, which was the reason I asked at what sort of threshold would make people on this ng 'seriously' think about giving up their vehicles. Having said that however, judging by what appears to be the ever increasing amount of traffic I see on the roads on a daily basis the increased fuel cost so far doesn't apear to have had very much impact.
Reply to
Ivan

Sooner or later the government has got to cap the price otherwise we will end up in a situation where it will be uneconomic to work

Reply to
steve robinson

This is not true. There is certainly not the same growth of traffic any longer. And curiously, the politicians talk about road pricing has suddenly gone mute. They know that's a bad situation and election(s) are always around the corner.

Reply to
johannes