Leaky Peugeot 309

For my sins I recently had to buy a car rather sharpish and ended up with a Pug 309. Don't ask, it was an emergency. Typical granddad car, low miles etc blah blah but it doesn't appear to be all that watertight.

It's got the typical Pug glass sliding roof (OEM) and the flap that covers the handle tends to fill up with water. I'm currently assuming that the handle (which is bolted or somesuch to the glass) is letting water in. Has anyone encountered this problem and knows how to fix it?

The other leak appears to wet the rear seat squabs but I haven't found any obvious source of water ingress there. Again, anybody got a suggestion here?

Grrr. All that so I can fix up my Rover which, surprisingly enough, appears to have suffered from a wet interior at one point and thus has gone somewhat mildewy...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Timo, Timo, Timo... Now s**te old French cars...

Reply to
deadmail

Well it can't get much worse than that...

Hmm. I'm getting the feeling I'm being watched...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Stalked old boy, stalked.

Reply to
deadmail

I'm TOG?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

He's working through a list, I reckon.

Done the s**te old German, Italian, Brit thing already, now he's single-handedly going to destroy any remaining good reputation the French motor industry has left ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

The sunroof will probably be leaking because the fibre washers where the handle to slide it back bolts on to the glass are shot. Remove the little trim pieces of plastic from the handle, unscrew the bolts and remove them from above, fit new washers, replace...

They are less than 50p from a main dealer, or seal with silicone for a more temporary fix.

Also, these have a reputation for letting in water around the rear light clusters. Try removing, cleaning the seals and sealing with silicone when you re-fit them.

Also check that the sunroof drain tubes have not come adrift at the bottom end. (if it is like the 205 then these should stick down into the wheelarch behind the rear wheels)

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Jennings

Brian Jennings was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Ah, nice one. Cheers Brian.

That's the current plan, as the water seemes to come in via the boot, so the lamp clusters are the obvious place.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

If it's not the light clusters it might be that the boot seal is getting tired. I fixed mine by removing it and re-installing so that the joint in the rubber is at the top of the hatchback opening rather than at the bottom next to the lock.

Cheers,

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Kelley

Ta. The seal looks pretty much OK and the pattern of the leaks seems to point at the rear lights, but I'll have a look at the seal as well.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Timo Geusch was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Hmm. Investigated further today and it looks like the lhs light cluster might well be the culprit. The rhs one appears to have been silicone'd in in the past, with the expected result - I can't frigging remove it.

Of course this means that I can't change the bulb without breaking the light cluster which doesn't appeal to me for some odd reason.

So, does anyone have any clever ideas as to how to remove the light cluster if I need to? I'm planning to put some sellotape between the bodywork and the light cluster on the lhs side so when I have to remove the cluster, the sellotape hopefully comes off the bodywork and allows me to remove the cluster. Anyone tried this before? Does it actually work? 'cos otherwise I'd have to live with the water in the boot, I guess.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I have a 205 which somehow gets a puddle in the footwell behind the rear passenger seat. Could this be the reason?

Reply to
Toby Maxwell-Lyte

When I've seen this problem its always been due to missing or leaking waterproof sheets behind the door trims, usually due to someone fitting speakers in the doors and not putting the waterproofing back properly. Water passes through doors - it gets in where the glass comes through and exits through drains in the bottom - so you need the plastic sheets to prevent water getting into the car.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Could that also apply when replacing a window? :o) I had to do that a year back after it was broken into in Aberystwyth. Some muppet decided he fancied my radio, why I dont know. The face would not stay up, it was the kind that folded down to put cds in.

Cheers Toby

Reply to
Toby Maxwell-Lyte

Yes.