lowering my tyre pressures???

Not at 40 mph. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not the best, but more than adequate.

As I said, each to his own.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Similar except the volvo one is computer monitored and adjusts in real time to requested and actual yaw, roll and pitch angles.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

my dad's S60 D5 has no settings but is meant to be adjusted in real time still i believe and it's VERY good, can throw it round like the car is half the weight it really is!

Reply to
Vamp

Duty of care, longevity and economy of vehicles and also better for the drivers. Many of my clients have installed similar systems - one had a lot of problems having to rotate drivers who kept getting disqualified....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If it has 4c suspension then it has the 2 settings, if hasn't got the 2 settings then it's just a traditional setup - has it got the sport pack (18" BBS split rims, lowered and stiffened suspension and little boot spoiler)?

They do handle far too well (the DSTC helps a lot too) and can be quite entertaining, especially for scooby drivers trying to keep up.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I feel that as far as my employer seems concerned, people are disposable.

Today I read an email on tyre replacement (pretty much unrelated to speeding I know), and I think the rules are just getting silly. It goes something like this: For every millimetre over 2mm left on the tyre, the department in charge of the vehicle will be charged £9.50 per mm. There is also an extra premium charged before 8:30am and after 5:30pm for tyre replacements. Busy departments may require their vans to be in use between 9:30am and 10:30pm and the callout lead time can vary, anything from between 45 minutes to an hour and a half. When I add in the uncertainty of whether or not the tyre will be changed in time for the van to leave with its deliveries on time, I think it is little wonder that extra costs are incurred when a descision is made to get tyres changed at a time that will suit the department rather than the accountant.

However I think the main driving force behind the speed limiting scheme seems to have been cost. The courts levy large fines on companies who can't (or refuse) to reveal who was driving a vehicle when a speeding ticket comes through, the company can't always provide an accurate record, or leaves it untill too late to provide the info as there was more "important" stuff happening at the time. I think that they've worked out that if they get done speeding many times in a worst case scenario it'll outweigh the cost of paying some chap to restrict all 750 vehicles nationwide to 60mph.

However, I am a cynic. Perhaps it is all for me and my colleagues benefit after all.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I have that video too for some odd reason...

Reply to
DanTXD

I have an S60 now on GT4. The wheelspin is maximum comedy :) Touch the accelerator when turning, at all, the fronts light up and you tram off the road :D TC is a must...

Although it is better than my 450bhp (with NOS) 206 that spins the wheels in

5th....
Reply to
DanTXD

There are many things one could say in response to that ;)

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Yep - the profile is meaningless without taking into account the width. 35 profile on a 305mm tyre, certainly isn't skinny :)

Reply to
Nom

Sounds like a fine idea to me. You're in no hurry whatsoever when you're being paid to drive for someone else, so the drivers won't mind being limited.

The journey-times will increase, for which the company will have to pick up the cost and/or hire more drivers.

As a driver for said company, you'll end up with less work to do (because it'll take longer), and you'll be more relaxed whilst doing so.

Top scheme I think :)

Being a driver for said company, what are your thoughts ?

Reply to
Nom

So they're ENCOURAGING their drivers to drive with tyres as bald as legally possible ? Er ?

I thought the points go onto the license of the company's MD, as he is effectively the owner of said vehicles ? Meaning he has a VERY good incentive to keep accurate driver-of-vehicle records.

Is that not the case ?

I rekon it's a good idea. It'll certainly save you from getting a speeding ticket, whilst at work ! Getting one in your own time is one thing, but getting one whilst you're driving for *someone* *else* is quite another !

Reply to
Nom

in news: snipped-for-privacy@sssssssssssizefitter.com, Johannes H Andersen slurred :

No, but very similar :P

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Company Secretary, and only if due diligence for helping identify the driver can be shown as not being done.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

susspension

Or come and have a ride in my Vectra SRi with it's optional 19" alloys.

Corners well and looks great. Tramlines like a devil though!

Reply to
topcat11uk

More like a reaction to the jerks driving.

Reply to
James Dore

Well, the routing system we have gives a driver 6 minutes to make a delivery, the system can route up to 6 drops in an hour, giving the driver an average of 4 minutes to get between drops. In reality a delivery takes anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes, there are a lot of factors involved in how long it takes, mostly outwith the driver's control. The only opportunity to make time back is caning the f*ck out of the van.

Given that probably 90% of my department's mileage is on 30mph limited urban roads it probably isn't going to make all that much of a difference to us.

If the driver is late, the customer gets £10. The driver then has to justify why he was late. If the only way to keep to the routing schedule was to speed on a single carrigeway, it's not going to keep the drivers particularly relaxed.

Heh, interesting theory.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Thats the way it looks to me. I understand where it is coming from and perhaps I have misunderstood the rules, but it doesn't sound too encouraging.

Hmm, dunno. My department keeps quite good records, if I got done, I'm pretty sure the company would hand my info over.

Heh, but it won't stop me getting a ticket, as it is still possible for me to theoretically drive on the 60mph limiter in a 20mph zone, on the kerb, past a school where all the diabetic pygmy albino black children are playing! This is why I think the 60mph limit is a bit silly.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

What good does it do just turning them around?

Reply to
AstraVanMan