Mechanic car abuse

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

Don't some cars have two positions for the ciggy lighter fuse, so you have the option of making it ignition-switched or permanently live?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I have heard of it but never come across it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's called 'cigar lighter' socket from them days, although I have lost the lighter end and don't care. Similarly, we still have 'wing mirrors, and 'bumpers'. The bumpers are a bit of a joke these days on modern cars.

Reply to
johannes

FFS, everyone knows what a ciggy lighter is. What I haven't come across is a car with a fuse selectable feed to the cigarette lighter. Sheesh.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

This is Johannes you're talking to, he's not from planet Earth. A proper space cadet if ever there was one.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

This is Mike Tomlinson my usenet sparring partner, following me around on usenet for oh.. 10 or more years.

Reply to
johannes

Yeah, I should know better. FWIW, this is how I piggy backed the hot feed from the permanently live socket in the boot to the accessory socket in the front without any soldering or other wire cutting in my Kia Cee'd.

These handy jump leads have two fuse holders at the ends which can be used to jumper the original fuse connection, just supply power to an accessory or do both. Obviously you have to consider current draw & fuse rating to keep it safe.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

Oh, that's nice. A really neat job, and very easy to revert to standard if necessary.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Reversibility was important to me just in case any warranty issues came up. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

From the accident investigator's report: "The vehicle was completely destroyed by fire except for two 15A fuses and the fusebox lid."

Is that bodge wired up correctly?

Reply to
Eiron

Define "bodge". Yes, it is wired correctly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

[18 lines snipped]

Anyone who thinks that's a bodge has never looked at the wiring on a TVR.

Reply to
Huge

Just because the factory did it doesn't mean it's not a bodge, y'know.

Reply to
Adrian

There's a reason why TVR don't exist anymore...

Reply to
SteveH

Rev limiter? Nowhere near it - I take it you don't push the car's performance envelope much. What de f*ck is that dinging racket?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

7K my arse.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon
[...]

Seat belt warning?

BTW, bearing in mind it's a performance car being driven by a mechanic, I thought he showed admirable restraint.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

En el artículo , Grimly Curmudgeon escribió:

OP's heart monitor while watching said video.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

And dodgy wiring isn't it.

Reply to
Huge

I had a quick skim of the Wiki entry and it boggles the mind they lasted as long as they did.

Had no idea they'd built their own engines either, always thought they were bought in.

Reply to
Scott M