New MOT system query

I usually book the car in 2/3 weeks before the MOT expiry date

What happens if its a fail and the work can not be done on the day. This is not a problem at the moment with the manual system as any work carried out at a later date will result in a MOT cert being issued.

In the meantime I still have a valid indate MOT as I have taken the car in early. I could still be proscuted if the vehicle is involved in an accident and the car is not roadworthy. However, if its a new exhaust or similar thats required then it may be noted but it would hardly be the cause of an accident.

The new computer system will record a fail - quite rightly! and any PNC check will highlight the computer test result.

Will this mean that the vehicle will have to be driven from the MOT station and parked off road until the garage is able to carry out the remedial work? The car is then booked in for a retest and can NOT be used for any other purpose?

Bit of a problem if there is no off-road parking!

Any thoughts!

Reply to
sid

[...]

Adrian wrote on 17 Jun 2005 22:31:19 GMT:

Yeah but, if the person driving the clone knows it's a clone, they won't need to MOT it -- any check on a computerised system would show up the car as being MOTed. Only if someone actually asked to see the certificate would it show up.

Might be a slight problem obtaining a tax disk for it, though...

Reply to
David Taylor

[...]

Neither can I. Wish I could run a compare on their database to see how many duplications there are and how they are duplicated, with X-refs to address of registered owner, last place Motted, name of insured drivers etc. I can see us having to get our cars chipped RFID style to sort it all out. ;-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I would imagine that if the expiry date of the last MOT wasn't past you would be OK. If you still have valid VED, parking the car on a public highway is not a problem. That only becomes a problem when you have to Sorn your car. I've got one Sorned on my driveway atm. Same place I used to dump all my out of tax date cars before without telling anyone. I got done for not Sorning one of my bikes, I simply forgot about it, it's buried somewhere in my garage behind the new bathroom suite.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Stuart Gray wrote on Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:03:11 +0100:

Would he? Failing the MOT means, technically, it's not fit for using on the road. Whether it was 11-and-a-bit months ago is irrelevant.

Of course, this applied before the computerisation anyway, but since the fail wasn't recorded in a central database, it was less likely you would have been caught (if indeed they will start checking for this).

Is it currently legal to drive a car that has failed an MOT home? (AFAIK, the "pre booked MOT" exception only applies for driving _to_ the MOT, not back from it, if you fail)

However, parking it on the road would be fine, I agree.

(Whether taking it home would be, or not, I don't know)

Reply to
David Taylor

The message from "Stuart Gray" contains these words:

I have a set of stamps. Cost me less than a tenner at the local market. Great for bike frames which the dibbles no longer do, telling you instead to go to the bike shop. The bike shop, of course, tells you to go to the dibbles....

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Not unusual - if someone selling a car they might MOT it ahead of schedule so they can sell it with a year's MOT.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "sid" contains these words:

Yes - it's not just VINs that are being cloned, it's your posts!

Reply to
Guy King

And just maybe that's the point....

Reply to
PC Paul

Tell me about it. And now the new V5C which they haven't informed me about. If I send back the V5 for replacement, I risk losing it and wont be able to get road tax. Some silly games to solve the congestion problem, I suppose ;-)

Reply to
Johannes

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@spamblock100023sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You don't need to send the V5 back to get a V5C.

It might be worth your while looking up the details on

to see if DVLA think that they've sent you a new one - a quick phone call on Monday should see it sorted.

Reply to
Adrian

Yep, Been and tested the Celica at the weekend. Passed, was tested in 30 mins, and paper work done in another ten.

I asked about the computerised system. He said they hadn't had it fitted, or a date yet, but whereas they take 30mins for a clean car, to

40 mins for a shed+ ten mins paperwork, the computerised systems are taking 1hr 10 minutes minimum, even if there is absolutley nothing wrong with the car.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar