Puma Tail still light - how much to diagnose?

thats crap, the bulb/s could have blown, if it was connected at the factory & the wires had been disconnected and there's no trace of them being fitted you pass & advise & inform the vehicle presenter.

Reply to
reg

it specifically states that you are not allowed to dismantle, to check of the lamp is wired or not, if you cannot confirm it is wired, you must give the presenter the benefit of the doubt, and pass and advice (which is exactly what I was told on the tester course)

Reply to
SimonJ

The bulbs COULD have blown, but that is not definite. Even if the bulbs have blown, the presenter could have disconnected it, as he cant be bothered to fit new bulbs, and if is disconnected it is not a lamp for the purposes of the test. If it is factory fitted, the wiring would be out of site, you are not allowed to dismantle to check if the wiring is in place, therefore you must give the benefit of doubt and assume that it isn't.

Reply to
SimonJ

Mechanic. And before you ask, yes I have done my tester course, and they specifically told us that the high level brake light not working was not a fail.

Reply to
SimonJ

Well days later and £75 lighter it was discovered to be a broken wire. How did it break?

I have no idea. But as it was stashed somewhere under the 'hinged' side of the boot lid I'd never even seen any wires there.

thanks for all the suggestions.

chas

Reply to
chas

chas ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's your answer. Flexing as you open and close the boot has fatigued it.

Reply to
Adrian

yes your absolutely right, your not allowed to dismantle but you have to take reasonable steps to ascertain that its not wired up as I said in earlier posts, but you me both know what a minefield the test is.

Reply to
reg

Then they were wrong. Look up the MOT rules/regulations.

Reply to
Lin Chung

The people who set the test, and write the rule book were wrong?????? Anything you say mate!

Look up the MOT rules/regulations.

I have, thank you.

Reply to
SimonJ

Lin Chung ( snipped-for-privacy@the.Water.Margin.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which say that any connected additional brake lights must work.

Reply to
Adrian

But if the wiring is hidden behind panels, which you are not allowed to remove, (which on a factory fitted light it will be) then there are no steps which you are allowed to take to see if it is wired up or not. If you have made checks to the full extent that you are permitted to, and you still cannot be certain that it is wired, then you have taken all reasonable steps to ascertain that it is not wired up, so you must give the benefit of the doubt.

Reply to
SimonJ