Radio Harness Standard???

The matter of radio harnesses is a bit of a mystery to me.

I thought there was supposed to be a standard so you could simply swap head units but, the last time I swapped one (for the same make) I had to buy another cable (I was swapping a Sony for a Sony in a Mazda).

I now want to replace a JVC in a Fiat (Ducato) with a Sony. I can't find details of a suitable cable. I'm sure I could adapt what I have- I have the Sony cable and the exist Fiat to JVC one and making the connections in no big deal, but I thought the idea behind the ISO standard was to allow a straight swap - or have I missed something?

Or, does the standard just specify a basic connector to the vehicle which you then need an adaptor cable for? If so, are cables with plugs and just wires available (ie no radio specific ends on them)?

Reply to
Brian Reay