RAV4 Alarm fob problem

My brother in law's alarm fob stopped working so I replaced the battery for him.

When I opened the fob it said it used rolling codes and you had to replace the battery within ten minutes. I took much less than this but, although the led lights up again on the fob, it won't work with the car.

I guess the battery had run too low to keep the code it had.

Does anyone know how I can re-sync the fob with the alarm. He still has a spare fob which works.

The car is a 98 Toyota Rav 4.

cheers Brian

Reply to
Banzii

I reckon a good locksmith should be able to do it. When I needed a new transponder key for my car, the AA bloke took the car to a locksmiths in Dewsbury (I can find their card out for you, if you're near it), and he had the various computers to reset the ecu key system. £65 for the computer work and 3 new keys. He might not have the bits for Toyota though - he said that despite having done work for the Govt and MOT, some of the manufacturers thought locksmiths were a security risk (or perhaps they like charging a bomb for the same work).

Reply to
Doki

When we had a fob rpoblem it turned out to be the switch at the side that give two or three beeps on locking. This can sit between to two and do nothing.

Reply to
John Beattie

Try this:

If it has two black buttons remove batteries,press buttons several times reassemble face at car & hold arm button for 10 secs then press disarm button If it has red & black buttons nowt you can do...

Reply to
chris

I got the answer on a dedicated RAV mailing list.

The fob was a two black buttons one with no side switch.

I had to hold the lock button down for 'some time'. I held it for over a minute and the fob was resynced with the alarm.

Thanks anyway.

cheers Brian

chris wrote:

Reply to