Re: Ping Conor the LIAR: Still awaiting your answer...

They changed to crank driven.

Reply to
Conor

BUt you don't do that on a service oil change. As you say you do it when you've rebuilt a pinto as well. The trick on Rovers is if it doesn't prime then you turn the engine over backwards to prime the oil pump, then crank it without the plugs in. Much quicker,

Reply to
Duncan Wood

So... basically you're saying it's a mechanics trick that's not in the official workshop manual, only really done after high performance rebuilds of engines and even then only on the older versions and even then it turns out there's a better way (run it backwards then crank it with the plugs out).

Wow. You certainly showed us. I bow to your superior... something.

Reply to
PCPaul

Well it wasn't him who started it. Spinning the pump is better, but then you have to redo the timing etc.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nobody started it - everyone's still priming the pump in seventeen different ways.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Some reckon you need a tool which allows the pump to be spun up using an electric drill - before you install the distributor. But if you've filled up the filter, cooler, oilways etc there's no need.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Jerry will now say this is a bodge or something...

Reply to
Conor

And you can't do that on the later engines because the oilpump is driven by the crankshaft.

Reply to
Conor

hahahahahahahahaha

Beg to differ.

Unless you are going to claim that 'distributor shaft driven' is crankshaft driven because, ultimately, so is every mechanically driven part of the engine?

Reply to
PCPaul

Not so. The distributor is driven by the camshaft - and the distributor shaft drives the oil pump.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Duncan Wood" saying something like:

Is the correct don't-give-a-f*ck dealership answer, LR or not.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Really?

Reply to
Conor

Indeed. At the very least, do it with no plugs in.

Reply to
Conor

In message , Jerry writes

Ah, that's the classic "JLE" of old. Isn't it about time you crawled back under your stone for another few years?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I've done it using a drill to prime the pump, shoved a screwdriver tip into a drill and primed it through the hole for the dizzy. Works a treat.

I've only had to do it once, on an engine that hadn't been run for around 20 years.

Reply to
Pete M

Which is the point, it's an almost unknown issue on a normally maintained engine, worth being aware of if that guage doesn't move after you've changed the filter though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'm no Rover V8 expert - can I ask why petroleum jelly, I'd have thought standard grease would have done the job?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

It dissolve in the oil better. being an oil product, wheras normal grease is full of soap.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Just what I was thinking. If not, he certainly has Jelly's 'know it all' style. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

I see.

I just rebuilt a big block Chrysler, a similar problem WRT oil pump priming, the pump is externally mounted. I used the Crane Cams engine assembly lubricant, it is like syrup, and ''strings'' like chainsaw chain oil - that's prolly all it is! I had no pump priming problems, I helped it along by priming by hand with a length of hex bar in a speed brace.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian