Stainless Exhausts

Indeed.

Reply to
Silk

Cool, you get someone else to drive your car for you.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Are you sure it's an automatic?

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

Yes, that was my understanding. Exhaust systems last longer on cars that do mainly long journeys.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

I seem to recall BMW putting a stainless system on the V8 M5. But I may be wrong.

Reply to
DervMan

Life of the exhaust can depend on the type of driving you do.

I had a Skoda Estelle that had only done 50k in 11 years. The bolt on=20 mounts on the exhaust were rotting before the system. A new one was =A330 a Favorit with 70k in 10 years that had broken 3 weeks after the MOT and a Celica with the original untouched system at 14 years and 140k=20 miles.

Problem is, among other things, moisture from the inside kills exhausts=20 especially if you do mostly short stop/start journeys where the exhaust=20 doesn't get hot enough to boil off the condensation.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Feeder-Dove Grey Sands

Elder

You're wasted on here.

Reply to
Silk

Perhaps you need to choose your vehicle more carefully. Both my last two BMWs have had exhausts that lasted about 10 years - and I do lots of short journeys which is said to shorten their life.

The snag is many aftermarket systems have a very much shorter life than OEM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They can also sell OE parts at a nice mark up after.

Reply to
Depresion

All this exhaust talk.... my MkII Mondeo is chuffing away. One thing i have been wondering about. This is my first car with a cat. Now, I presume all those esoteric metals within are pretty expensive.

Are cats built to last over a few exhaust system replacements or are they just as tinny and disposable as the rest of the tubing and boxes?

I need to find a garage / fitter that will only replace the dodgy bits and instead of going for the whole system to up their profits. It's a £700 car and not worth spending a lot on it...

Les

Reply to
Les Hemmings

Wow, you've got long arms :)

Reply to
Bernard

Cats run very close to the exhaust manifold and therefore run very hot. They only start working when very hot. They are placed near the manifold to start working as quickly as possible. The fact they run so hot means they rarely need replaced. I had to replace one on a 12yo car. It was the flanges that attached it to the rest of the system that had corroded and not the cat itself. It was £150. I was surprised.

Reply to
gazzafield

On another forum somebody has a signing off piece that reads:

"If you have to tell people you're an advanced driver, you aren't."

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

We cannot all afford the luxury of a prestige 4*4

(Terrano wasn't it?) :)

Reply to
Tommy

The van is dual fuel and I run it on LPG virtually all the time.

AIUI, LPG runs much hotter than petrol, so maybe this contributed to the exhausts early demise?

tox

Reply to
Your Worst Nightmare

Yes this happened to my 12 year old car. But I welded the flanges and it's back on again.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Took it to a fitter who stuck it on the ramp... he dashed off to find parts list so i managed a shuftie underneath.

Seems the chuffing is from the joint between a bit of flexi pipe and the first tube. Some gun gum bandage should give me many more months from the system by the look of it. He quoted nearly £200 ....

Les

Reply to
Les Hemmings

I just got off of my arse and got a decent job. I make no appologies for that. ;-)

Reply to
Silk

I sure most of us don't want to look like a pimp or a pikey.

Reply to
Silk

No, you're right. I'm sure that's the best thing to do. I wish I'd done that.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS