VW golf MK IV estate steering noise

whenever I stationary or moving, if I steer to the right more than about

3/4 of a steering wheel turn (from dead straigh) there is a sound of metal hitting metal, like a clanking sound. it apparently is coming from the offside front area of the car.

What is the problem likely to be?

Regards

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

anti roll bar link or broken spring.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Could it also be a CV joint?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I thought if it was a ARB link, it would make a noise if I went over a pothole... I do not get a noise when I go over a pot hole.

Reply to
Stephen

I wondered about this... I thought the car had to be moving for the CV joint to make a noise? I get the noise when stationary simply by turning the steering wheel and this is with the engine turned off.

Reply to
Stephen

Probably the spring then.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ah, no, I missed that (stationary) bit (doh).

Hmmm ... I will go with what Duncan said then, a spring?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. My nephew parked up his 35k mile Fiesta the other day and after being indoors some time, heard a very loud 'bang' (similar to a car being hit). Long-short, the n/s/f road spring had just broken!

Reply to
T i m

If you keep going over potholes, you'll f*ck up your steering.

Reply to
The Revd

Out of interest, what are the difference(s) in symptoms between:

(a) a broken front spring and (b) a siezed or collapsed top mount bearing?

Reply to
Stephen

My last car (a Touran) had a seized top bearing. Turning the steering wheel produced odd "sproinging" noises but no clonks.

I think the spring was "winding up" and then turning suddenly. Definitely not clonky though.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim+