Warning buzzers too quiet

Since when?

Reply to
Conor

VW LT warning lamps are almost impossible to read when the suns at the wrong angle.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

With a big red light. Don't forget the big red light.

Reply to
Adrian

Duncanwood ( snipped-for-privacy@dmx512.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I have no argument with "wants".

Reply to
Adrian

Duncanwood ( snipped-for-privacy@dmx512.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sounds like a good reason to buy a different van, not to put bingly- bonglies on that one.

Reply to
Adrian

How else are you going to be warned of nearing the object since you'll be looking in mirrors or over your shoulder. So lights are useless.

An audible warning which draws attention to a quick temperature drop is useful.

A lights on warning when you open the car door is very useful. If you haven't noticed the lights are on would you notice a warning light?

Probably not since you've got reasonable time to notice the warning light.

You've not had a difficult to judge car fitted with PDC? Once you've had it you'll not want to be without. It came with my BMW - I'd never have specified and paid for it then. But soon fitted an aftermarket one to my SD1 which is very difficult judge at the back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On many if you open the sunroof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A single bong to draw your attention to a display which gives *vital* information like overheating etc is the way to go.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

But is a pain in the arse if you already know it's cold.

The "degC" symbol on my outside temp gauge flashes when it's between -3 and

+3. Yes, it's cold. The fact it's zero deg tells me that. I happen to remember the useless information that ice forms at zero degC.

If you don't know that you've not turned your lights off, should you be driving? What else did you forget? Handbrake? Ignition? Seatbelt? To open the door?

There was a PDC display in the console of the Prius I test drove last week. I started using it, and gave up because it was easier to look through the (crap) rear window.

Reply to
Adrian

Bollocks. The other ones are all far easier to remember. It can be non-obvious that your headlamps are on - eg in daylight.

(although since it's been several years since I had a car without a beeper for the headlamps, I'm not sure how bad I'd be without one).

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Idon't set off in the morning with those on & then have them become irrelevant & unnoticeable though.

Reply to
Duncanwood

You've never done a journey where it starts out relatively mild then gets colder? 'Cause that's the whole reason for an ice alert. But perhaps you always drive with the windows open and no heater on. ;-)

It carries on flashing all the time? Mine gives a bong to attract your attention and flashes a few times then goes steady.

You must be superman. I'll bet there are plenty here who have left home in the dark in the morning and arrived at work in daylight and forgotten the lights were on.

Like I said you need to try a car where it's difficult to judge exactly where the back bumper is. Plenty around. But it's not designed to replace your skills in parking but to assist them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Unfortunately, that's exactly what people use it for.

I was waiting in a clothes shop for SWMBO to try some stuff on a little while back. Conversation amongst the assistants in the shop centred on their friend who'd just reversed her new Audi into a lamp-post or bollard or similar.

Because the parking sensors didn't warn her about it. They thought it really unfair that she was having to pay - and thought it scandalous that the warranty didn't cover it "because that's what them sensors are for, innit? But they didn't tell her. So they didn't work."

Reply to
Adrian

You need say no more.

Reply to
SimonJ

The question whether or not you need them is entirely irrelevant, no, you dont 'need' them, but then again, you don't actually need a radio, a heater, power steering, windows, or padding on the seats, but you would soon be complaining if your car had none. Your car would still function without many things, but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't want them there.

In fact, if it really comes to it, how many of us actually 'need' to have a car at all?

Reply to
SimonJ

Surely you'd notice when checking the speedo occassionally like you're supposed to?

Reply to
Conor

If you can't tell if the lights are on, you are unfit to drive.

Reply to
Conor

You're kidding, surely?

Reply to
Conor

Well, your Saxo is obviously easy to park. Pity you don't have netiquette skills to match.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So HGVs aren't fitted with PDC systems? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)