Welding A-posts

Yes it can. Standard rot point on Capris too. Take it to a bodyshop - you'll get a much tidier job.

Reply to
Conor

Hi,

I have a mk1 mr2 which I'm trying to get back on the road. There is some rust (roughly a 2 by 2 inch area below the bottom door hinge) at the bottom of the a-posts on each side. There appears to be at least

2 layers of metal and a quick inspection suggests that it isn't holed (i.e. through all the layers).

Being a rather important structural part, can the rot simply be cut out and new metal be welded in? Are there any particular issue in doing this or could pretty much any garage do it. I tempted to try it myself but my weldings not that good.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Ingram

The message from "Jim Ingram" contains these words:

Yes, but the welds must be continous, not stitched.

Reply to
Guy King