What is 'Oil Flush Treatment' apart from money-grabbing

Understood.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

This is a bit of a test post but:

This is how bond three wheelers with the 197 Villiers engine could be reversed if there wasn't room to pick up the front and wheel it around.

I have a 3c ylinder diesel that can do the same for a short while.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

That is a known situation and unintended, but they do blow out of the intake and suck from the exhaust, and as they are not timed correctly for injection there is loads of smoke and the air filter blocks up in a short while.

Reply to
MrCheerful

While I don't dispute what you say, that is a surprise. I wasn't aware of any timing belts running in oil, let alone Ford ones.

I confess to not liking timing belts, I don't really trust them. I'm sure others will disagree but ......

Reply to
Brian Reay

Same with some of the Transit Connect / Mondeo 1.8TDCi's that also have a 'wet timing belt'.

I have to agree it doesn't sound right, a flexible belt running in oil. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, in my case it blows the oil out of the oil bath filter but I cut the fuel as soon as I can. It happens if you declutch just at the point of stall.

I see Tim also has a three wheeler which reverses on the engine, I always assumed the bond just ran retarded in reverse.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I think my ford 1.6 eco diesel timing belt runs in oil and I believe the ford 3 cylinder dorect injection engines do too, belt interval is over

100k miles which is worrying as my wife had a belt snap at 35k miles on the Subaru.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I'm even more surprised that the Mondeo has one- I thought they were 'old school' and assumed this 'wet' idea was new. You live and learn.

I had one snap on an Orion, fortunately the damage was very limited. The belt was well withing the recommended mileage/time etc. However, there was another issue, the fuel injection system, which may have contributed.

Since then, I've always been very careful re having belts changed etc. within the recommended time/mileage.

Reply to
Brian Reay

My Mk 1 Astra (1983) had that feature.

Oil leaked out of the gasket next to the timing belt pulley and the belt was saturated with engine oil.

Strangely enough, I bought it with 96K on the clock as a short term runaround for £800 and 6 years later I still had it with 136K. It used so much oil that I had to add a pint of oil at evry other fuel fillup, so I never bothered to change the oil or filter. The engine was bullet-proof but the rest of the car was falling apart.

Reply to
Andrew

I think a number of vehicles quote 100K for 'belt life'. From memory, Mazda don't even do that, just 'inspect', at least on the MX5.

I always felt much happier with the CRV chain ;-)

Slightly different, as a youngster, I remember fan belts snapping being a frequent issue. It was one of those things which those with cars seemed to live with. However, in my 40 or so years of driving and tinkering with cars, I've only replaced one which snapped- and that was for a friend.

Reply to
Brian Reay

From memory, Mazda don't like belts.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

I think that later Bonds also had a 'Dynastart' unit that was probably the same as fitted to my Schmitt. Not only did it allow you to start the motor in reverse (as in starter motor) but charge the battery when running in reverse (the 'Dyna' bit) but also switch to a secondary set of points.

This was all controlled by a 'Black box' which was filled with relays and possibly the coil (from memory).

The Schmitt owners club has someone making those from new now. ;-)

The intention key was just turned as normal for ignition then start, or pushed in and turned to give reverse.

You were supposed to wait for the engine to stop before reversing the direction but my mate and I (both Schmitt owners / drivers) learned to hold the brakes on, kill the ignition and then stall the engine with the clutch before starting off again. It helped us come joint first on the driving skills event at an International Messerschmitt Rally. (we didn't stand a look-in on the Concourse event). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or the Corsa 1.2 16V chain. Daughter is hoping to get hers to 100k miles, less than 5k to go now. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The belt snapped on my 2L (Pinto, 'safe engine') Sierra whilst waiting at some traffic lights, luckily not too far from home.

Un typically, my garage owning mate came out and towed me in, he had a new belt delivered (£12), I fitted it and was home within the hour. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Perhaps but the MX5 had one.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Our Smart has a combined starter/alternator- I'm not sure if they all do, at least after ours.

The early ones had some issues but ours seems OK.

I don't like the auto stop/start business but you can turn it off.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I had the same thing happen on a Pinto engine on the way back from buying the replacement belt I changed it at the side of the road not something you could do with these newer engines

-
Reply to
Mark

alan_m

Suggesting there is little new in this world eh? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Doh!

I did that with the Sierra clutch cable. ;-)

Quite.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m