Hard top opinions?

Don,

I would recommend checking out this page. It can make a world of difference in the handling, especially with this car.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Thank you sir.

This is great reading, (and pics!), for anyone who has not seen it before.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Very useful article, thanks!

Umm, skimming through, this caught my eye:

How abrupt is the transition? Catchable? An instant 180 on the slightest liftoff or a gentle nudge of several inches coming off the pedal completely?

Reply to
Don Q

Lanny, as well as a few others here, can answer this better than I can.

When I purchased my first Miata in 1999, I took a printout of Lanny's specs to the alignment shop after buying new tires. It truly felt like a different and much improved vehicle.

After that, I upgraded the shocks, sways, put some additional bracing on, etc., but nothing came close to making the kind of difference that a good alignment did.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Depends on how close to the limit you are and how you lift. A partial lift will increase the front tires' grip and decrease the radius of the turn. At the limit, a large, abrupt lift can cause a spin. Conversely, increasing throttle will cause mild understeer and a wider radius.

All but the most egregiously-understeering Miatas will do this to some extent. In my experience, most owners don't really want a neutral car; it means oversteer under some conditions, and that may be too scary unless they've developed the appropriate reflexes to respond with *more* throttle to make the rear stick.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers