Are MR2 Turbos...

Is the MR2 Turbo known for either having massive wheelspin off the line if you gun it, or are otherwise sluggish?

I'm assuming that the driver of this MR2 was wanting to look after his clutch and tyres:

He screamed past... but not until we were well away from the crowd. So too did the Skyline GT-R when the chap hit the gas, I nearly got out, I tell you! But only once, presumably, he had traction...?

The Ka blasts off the line very well - guess it's that low down thump in conjunction with small wheels and low unsprung weight. It's just that once you're past that initial bit, you need another hundred horses!

/Cue comments about the distasteful wheels!/ :p

Reply to
DervMan

I can't think of anything to say that does them justice :)

Reply to
DanTXD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, DervMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

God those wheels are awful.... then again, Mk3 XR2s have no redeeming features at all apart from a propensity to rust quicker than an Alfasud in a saltmine.

Reply to
Pete M

They were probably pissing themselves so much at your green shopping trolley with s**te old wheels they couldn't see the lights.

Or maybe they were taking the piss. Yeah, that's it, they were taking the piss.

Reply to
SteveH

They're, erm, "an acquired taste." :p

But to be fair, when I'm driving I don't see them, and the wider track / improved grip are adequate compensation until I pick up some proper styled

5.5J 13s with the right offset.
Reply to
DervMan

To be fair, its more likely they were confusing the Ecotek on the Ka with a farting duck, and were either laughing at, or looking around for that :)

Reply to
DanTXD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, DervMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

indeed, tbh I can't rip you about them too much, I don't like the OZs on the estate much either. I'm half tempted to go looking for a set of mint late model XR4x4 wheels for it.

Reply to
Pete M

LOL!

So as to avoid reading direct Ford-hating puss, I didn't read SteveH's response, but nice to see it's in keeping with character. :)

The Ecotek? It's very very quiet in Kermit, not quite silent, but close. We've had it on for almost 10,000 miles, then I'll take it off and get better mileage without it, thus proving it doesn't work.

Reply to
DervMan

Heh! The OZ Ford Racing 13s for the Rally Ka are also an acquired taste, but with their offset of 24, they stick out just a bit too much...

Standard Ka rims have an offset of 35, the XR2i rims have an offset of

30.4...

I don't get to see them that much either!

Reply to
DervMan

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, DervMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

WTF *is* an ecotec?

I'm not much of an economy fiend, I've heard you lot taking the piss out of it, but I don't know what it is and can't be arsed with a spot of googlage.

Reply to
Pete M

It's a product designed to achieve the following: improve (reduce) fuel consumption, improve performance, and heighten sexual experiences.

Maybe one out of three then!

Heh! There's all sorts of bumph about it on my website.

Reply to
DervMan

What's wrong with the wheels? Other than they are bolted to a green KA? ;)

Reply to
Depresion

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Well, I haven't done any serious hard launches in the Celica, due to the clunk being a worn rear diff mounting bush. Fine if your smooth, clunky if you are hard, but it gets off the line far better than the Saab, with less lag as well.

It's the same 3S-GTE engine in the MR2 as in the Celica GT4, but I think with a different turbo. As it is mid engined I can't see it spinning any more off the line if you gunned it, or bogging too much if you don't.

My Celica certainly doesn't bog like the Saab did.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

all I can say is "at least you didn't time out" :) and othercheerfull comments about not letting the bastards get you down andstuff :)

dojj

I'd always wondered how that was spelt (bumph).

FWIW I always thought that style XR2i wheel was actually ok-looking.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I get that a lot, most people are like, "why are you bringing that down here." Then we beat them to the one eight of a mile marker... :)

Reply to
DervMan

you looked like you were well and truely spanking that mr2 though :)

Reply to
dojj

The driver must have been asleep.

Reply to
Depresion

ah well, he still spanked him though :)

Reply to
dojj

"Doesnt matter if you spank by an inch or a mile. Spanking is spanking."

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne