Chipped UK

It wasn't here. Until you turned up criminally stalking steve firth, we had never heard=20 of you.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

I didn't think they'd bother. I thought it was just a plugin and go thing.

Reply to
Doki

He shoots, he scores :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

As many are done now by simply reprogramming the stock ECU through the OBD port then there isn't any cost at all only as you say labour, over heads and insurance against what may happen if something dose go wrong. A lot of companies don't actually do the remapping in house rather they send the original map out through the internet to another company who have more expertise along with a list of any modifications and they will send back a partly optimised map that just needs some fine tuning.

Reply to
Depresion

It wasn't here. Until you turned up criminally stalking steve firth, we had never heard of you.

Reply to
Ken

Like I've told ken, it is the 2-3 hours tuning the map to suit the car that makes the biggest difference.

Reply to
Ken

The crude ROM chips they sell for £300-600 cannot be changed in any way.................once they have been burnt thats it!

Ken

It isn't the cost of the silicon slug. It is the hours of dyno time mapping the car, and knowing how to read those changes, and build a proper 3d fuel/ignition/turbo response map, without melting the customers engine. kind of improves business. I mean can you see "Go to company X, they melted two pistons and snapped my crank, but they were a 1/4 of the price of Company Y who tuned Stig Blomquists rallycross car" ever doing anyone any good in business, can you?

Reply to
Ken

Interesting that stock ECU's are now able to be mapped...................must be quite difficult as most are fitted with ROM chips!

Ken

They have a good reputation, as do Jabba. But if money allows a visit to Kim Collins is the best bet for anything VAG.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Cheap ones are, and they get you 90% of where you can be with a standard car. If you've got any mods though a custom map is almost essential.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

How on earth do you individually map a cheapo ROM chip of the type provided by the majority of the chipping people?

Ken

Why?.............do you have comparative independant before and after dyno printouts regarding the products of the companys mentioned?

Ken

Sorry you arsenuggit, I didn't know you were unaware of the difference between a forum, and a USENET NEWSGROUP.

Reply to
Elder

I do now of one plug and play replacment ECU for the majority of jap=20 cars that is fully mapable and cost between =A3300-600 +3 hours tuning.

I also know of two piggy backs that cost less than that, and also=20 mapable. There others but they fall outside that price range. These days, "Chipping" doesn't just mean a simple ROM swap, it is a=20 generic term for tuning via an updated or replacement brain for the car. And =A3300 to =A3600 for a chip must be to London muppets with more money t= o=20 burn than sense.

For a clue. Piggy back Emanage

Standalone plug and play full replacement.
And if you are willing to import
do both standalone and piggy backs that are=20some of the most advanced available sub=A3600 Then there is the good old Dastek unichip.=20
for getting more out of a mildy tuned car than tweaking a nutter=20monster as the range of some of the settings is limited. non of these are just roms, all of these are tuneable to a degree.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

So you agree that it is the 2-3 hours dyno tuning that costs then. I'm glad to see that you are being reasonable and agreeing with everything I said.

Reply to
Elder

That is how REVO do it for Volvo and VW, and how various companies including SAAB themselves do it for the SAAB range of cars.

Those that can't be, often have an option of a piggy back available that diverts some of the inputs and handles them, while sending data to the ECU in ranges it likes to stop it throwing faults.

Reply to
Elder

No, because nobody dynos Cakes you twunt.

Reply to
Elder

I can't think of many manufactures that don't use EPROM chips for the ECU nowadays.

These are also quite popular for the mail order market using a generic remap, this can still be good for a 20% improvement in power on turbo cars.

Reply to
Depresion

No, but I have personal experience of driving cars that have been modded or remapped by those companies. Kim Collins (QST) is the man but his services do not come cheap.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp