Done a new Golf GTi in the traffic light Grand Prix!

I remember the very miffed look on the face of the owner of an equally heave modified VR6 Corrado when I beat him in my smoky Ibiza. That was at the pod though racing on the roads is illegal so I'd never do that or anything else illegal.

Reply to
Depresion

Better than the driveway full of rusting italian s**te and the poverty spec company boremobile you have.

Reply to
Conor

On paper, there's not much in it (172 0-60 in high 6s/low 7s, V6 0-60 in

5.8-6.4 depending where you read. But having driven both, the V6 is a good chunk quicker when 'on the move'. The extra 100nm of torque and 60bhp probably help heh. The Vee seems to inspire happy ness, smiles and general pleasentness from other drivers wherever I go though, from chavs in Corsas to middle aged rep looking types in Beemers.
Reply to
Iridium

LOL.

Reply to
DervMan

I was very, very surprised at how rapid the 172 felt. It has a similar power to weight ratio as does the V6 (~170 bhp / tonne). Less weight, less power.

Now the Renault salesman reckoned that point to point, the V6 would be quicker but with a higher proportion of Sketchleys' moments.

Personally I'd take the 172.

I was distraught to discover that this week, when I drove a Porsche 911 JP3 back to back with the Clio Cup Racer on the track, I was both marginally quicker in the Clio and enjoyed it more.

And of course the better traction. Oh and 300 kg of pies.

That's the look of fear combined with respect! :-)

Reply to
DervMan

Not the new 2.0 Turbo, no way, they ARE a bloody rapid car.

Reply to
Me

Lordy, I hate to admit it but you're right. A 221 BHP standard Impreza will struggle to keep up with modern hot hatches, Focus ST's VXR Astras etc.

When I bought the car, coming from a 150BHP Vectra, it FELT really rapid, after 7 months of ownership, it needs more power and that's what I have planned.

At present have fitted a 3" stainless catback exhaust system + panel filter, next will be full decat downpipe/centre, intercooler hose kit & tec3 remap. Cost about £700-800 and good for around 285BHP.

The thing I've learnt about Scooby ownership is the power you can take these cars up to is only limited by the depth of your wallet ;-)

Reply to
Me

That's true of any car. If I wasn't (still) building a 270 bhp polo my Derv would be pushing 225-250 by now.

Reply to
Depresion

Rusting - no.

Poverty spec - no.

0/10 - could do better.
Reply to
SteveH

A WRX certainly won't depreciate as fast as the pile of Italian s**te on Steve's driveway either.

And it's a better looking car ;-)

Reply to
Me

Oh, I think you'll find that both of the cars we own have pretty much zero depreciation these days.

The 75 is worth around 1500 quid. Always will be, so long as I keep it maintained.

The 156 has probably lost around 500 quid in 2 years and isn't losing any more now. If anything, 156 prices have firmed up as all the cheap broken ones get scrapped. A good one will always fetch decent money.

If you seriously think an Impreza is a better looking car than a 156, I suspect your eyesight is so poor you shouldn't hold a driving license.

Reply to
SteveH

They /are/ rapid, but the problem is that times have changed and the=20 competition - even traditionally mundane cars - are faster than ever=20 before. What was once blisteringly fast is now just "quick".

But the fun part is playing stepping stones, you need to start getting=20 yourself up to 300 ponies now, stop faffing about in the girly 200's :)

If you're near Swindon I'd recommend Bob Rawle...

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Throw in a few bends and the Impreza will still wipe the floor with the new generation of overly powerful FWD shit.

Reply to
SteveH

Still only 200bhp though (with the exception of a couple of special editions), so not stupidly rapid. Pretty much on a par with the competition (Type-R's, etc, etc), 60mph in about 7 seconds and all that.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Which is a tad faster than a Pinto-engined Crapi.....

Reply to
SteveH

What like the Focus RS that pissed on one, round a track?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Was thinking of the 160BHP one.

Reply to
Conor

Depends on what diff and engine mods there are though...

Mine ain't running a 2L diff or standard motor...

And I'm sure a HPE Pinto would blow the doors off pretty much everything you have and even give the bikes a good run for their money.

Reply to
Conor

Whereas my Capri is worth at least £1000 more than that and goes up in value every year so it can't be that crap. Hell, even a 4 door MK1 Essie 1300L is worth more than that 75.

Reply to
Conor

Bwahahahahaha.

Crapi MkIII (non-V6 variants) - Condition 1 - £1400 Alfa 75 (non-V6 variants) - Condition 1 - £1750.

And in other news, the pope wears a funny hat.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH