Gone quiet, hasnt it?

Oh, I've always liked them. Didn't get one when I got the 306 because they had a reputation for leaking, and rusting. Fantastic to drive though - personally I find the Electric PAS quite pleasant, though I can see how it catches people out if they're used to chucking around cars with non-assisted steering, the engine makes a lovely note, and the leather wheel/seats/gearshift make it feel like a proper 'British' sports car. As does the small amount of rust ;)

It's flexy plastic. Horrid windows.

I've been unable to find anything else like it for £2K more - it's '96

70,000 mile money. Still worried about headgaskets and stuff, though.

No, it's the standard 1.8i - though the Rover dealer says it's a 'special one' - it's listed as a Sport and has all the leather and stuff, and sounds nice.

They do, it's why I like the MGF - the suspension makes for a very balanced, comfortable sports car. Economy should be close to Mk. II Golf GTI levels, as it's a very similar engine besides being a 16-valve lump

- 1.8, 120bhp. Claimed 49mpg, which should mean I can average 40ish in it.

Bad points - hood design looks crude, no liner (easily rectified). They do seem to rust a little. Must check underneath them to check the state of the cooling pipes to the radiator. Quite noisy from the hood, but the engine noise is very subdued. Absolutele bastard to do any major work on as far as I can tell, but routine work seems fairly priced - £280 for a cambelt service (all fluids changed + belt). Oh, and my 306 doesn't go back for another two months, so I don't know if the seller will wait long enough for me to get the car - in which case I'll end up PCPing a brand new Mazda MX-5 1.8 Sport (six speed).

Good points - truly brilliant handling, hilarious fun, nice gearing for motorway use in the 1.8 (the VVC has lower gearing, another reason to avoid IMO), cheap to buy and insure, cheap accessories and spares - new roofs for £500 (easy to swap over, too), hardtops are £600-900, sensible tyres.

Indifferent points - a bit common, no luggage space to speak of (the front is not for luggage, it's not even trimmed and you can see the road through parts of it), none-adjustable wheel gives me the italian driving position with hands in lap (fine for me, but I drove an X1/9), British so reliability may be a concern.

I don't think everyone should have one, but I reckon anyone who knocks them as hairdressers cars should try one. I've never driven an Elise, but if it's as much extra fun over the MGF as it is extra money, it should be the most amazing car going.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

snip

I said as much a while back when someone else (Hugo double-barrel IIRC) bought one - I had a lot of fun round Knockhill in one a few years ago

Reply to
Jamesy

And it is... consider the Elise as an MGF with no inertia.

You push the accelerator, it moves instantly; you hit the brakes, it stops. I have been handed an 111 (?) for a few laps at Spa and happily embarrassed a BMW M3 with it... only to be embarrased also by that other Lotus R340 or something.

But nothing bad to the MGF (apart from the Rover-dealers): you've got a nice car and its pounds/fun-ratio is in the right regions.

Have fun!

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I went down some lanes i know very well, ended up at one deserted crossroads for about 30 mins just mucking about doing powerslides/dohnuts/ handbrake turns/j-turns. tee he he. Very irresponsible, but when else can you do that in relative safety!

Same here :( Although they're shit anyway - at one point i slid really impressively round an uphill hairpin, well out of shape but had it caught then i just stopped at 45 degrees to the road with no traction, stuck on the hill. ooooops had to reverse anbout half a mile down the road coz i couldnt get going again! the 106 with me was fine, even from doing a hill start right next to me :(

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I ended up at a B&Q car park, lit, flat and low risk of bending the car, but I was slightly paranoid about someone calling the police or getting upset. Only spent a few minutes there as a result. Didnt get round to j-turns. My mate has now rechristened my Carlton "the donut factory".

I invested in 2 Pirelli P6000's recently, ouch. However, I did get a job today so now I might be able to spend a bit on the motor soon, its suffering a bit from neglect.

I used to have a 205 Diesel. On snowy roads it was unstoppable. Could also get quite tail happy if you wanted. Loved it.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

tee he he, didnt really get the hang of more than about 270 degrees as there wasnt that much room to experiement :( Was mostly having fun getting the tail waaaaay out of shape and scaring the missus!

I'm biting the bullet and moving back with me mum coz i'm getting tired of having no cash. Has it down sides, but hopefully i'll be able to get a new car next month :) Oh, and well done on the job! Anything interesting?

Thats what my car will be (hopefully), albeit a turbo jobbie. Had one a while back and loved it, plus i'll be commuting 25 miles to work every day, so diesel is good! In fact i'm sitting here now making plans for it... :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Dammit, I knew this would happen... I'M SOLD! (c:

I think my dad briefly entertained the idea of an MGF when they came out as he built an MG midget in his lockup many moons ago before I was drawn or thought of.

He got a normal 306dt instead.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne