I've given up even pretending I can afford to fix it.

So, free listing day wins again. The Saab is on Fleabay now.

NeedforSwede2

My dad had a P-plate Avenger 1.6 GLS with twin carbs (it was the 4 door version of the GT).

Black velour interior, proper dials rather than the silly strip speedo, black vinyl roof, and, ISTR Rostyles.

Lovely, it was.

Reply to
SteveH

Lovely...? Are we all looking at the same thing here...?

Reply to
DanTXD

Pah! You kids and your modern cars.

Reply to
SteveH

Bad form, but it was like this one, but in white:

SteveH

I like the looks of some old cars - but come on now - look at it :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

I wouldn't bid.

No pictures of the negative aspects of the car - the rust or the roof - indicating their severity. Pictures are all too small - supersize pictures do help car listings. No proper pics of the seats.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I can't see anything bout the faults you can't afford to fix on ebay! I hope the buyer is told first if anyone is mad enough to pay £1600. Maybe £600 if you're lucky.

Reply to
simon

He's hardly likely to put up pics that show it to be a bit of a worthless shed, is he? ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

I can be more charitable than that; IF there were pictures that showed 'scruffy but solid-enough A-pillar' and a decent enough roof for most things, then a younger me would have handed over £1,600 for it just to run about in it for a summer, and repairs be dammed.

OTOH, insurance was cheaper and cars more valuable back then. Imagine thinking £900 was a good price for an 8-year old basic Astra? (That's what my 1984 Chevette cost in 1992 - and that's with 1992 incomes and

1992 housing prices as a comparison. Probably more like £2,000 now).

Hell, back then I paid £1100 for a hacksaw-job (MBH Conversions) Renault

5 Cabriolet ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Then learn to read.

"The car lives outside, I can't afford a replacement roof at the moment which means I can't do it justice."

Reply to
DanTXD

that's just some manky old escort init? :)

Reply to
Vamp

Gah!

You kids know *nothing*.

Reply to
SteveH

You know the Chrysler/Talbot Sunbeam (the one Lotus chucked a big motor in), thatis essentially the same chassis/steering/suspension/brakes.

It already had a 4 link rear end that the escort doesn't. it is a sound rally/drift novice car, especially tuned, or running a lotus or VX twink unit

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Keep it in the family and stick an H120 lump in there.

Reply to
SteveH

If you click the small pics, you get the bigger pics. I have bigger still ones too. The Gaffer and the roof patches are the worst visible part of the roof. The other parts can't be seen without stripping the roof off because they are below the spoiler side piece.

If people ask, I have other piccies I can post them, but I didn't want the auction to take too long to load.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Looks like the kind of car my nana would drive.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

a 17** Holbay would be nice, but a Lotus would work too. I've heard somewhere that the stock 1600 is actually a better engine than the Holbay, and doesn't take much to bring upto Ti spec.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

This is why.

because it basically one of these mechanically (bar the engine)
they restyled it.Now imagine it with a lotus lump spinning away.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Actually, as Hillman became Chrysler became Talbot became Peugoet-Talbot bacame Peugoet, how about trying to get an Mi16 engine on throttle bodies in? Must be a bit harder work than a Pug205 Mi16, but would be a stonking drive what with the RWD.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2