I've given up even pretending I can afford to fix it.

You do know ones in mine's body condition with a sound roof sell for =A34-

5k and minters change hands privatley for upto =A37k for low milers. the price I'm asking is reasonable for a tatty but solid daily driver.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, NeedforSwede2 wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Problem is, there's 35,000 rhd Saab convertibles knocking about the UK.

I wouldn't pay £1600 for one with a shagged roof which needs major body surgery, £1000 tops - although I don't doubt it'll fetch more than thatl

Reply to
Pete M

I reckon an Mi16 covnersion in a Sunbeam or an avenger would go quite well.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, NeedforSwede2 wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

The Avenger engine bay is big enough for a Rover V8 to go in very happily....

Reply to
Pete M

Blown small block chev.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Keep it in the family - nice Hemi lump :D

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I was keeping it in the family with the Mi16.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I bloody hope so, or I'm definatley back in a Skoda next time (anold one=20 at that).

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Buy the VW Fastback. In 18 months or so I'll buy it from you ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Would love it, but for that money it would need to be almost rust free,=20 FSH, and with 12 months ticket (check a mid 90's felicia for=20 comparison).

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

If it was rust-free with MOT for £600, I wouldn't be posting about the horrors of trashing it, I'd be driving it, two-car rule be damned. If it had been slightly tidier and MOTd, I would have been seriously considering flogging the Sera to get it.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember NeedforSwede2 saying something like:

Gawd, no. A lump of underpowered pig iron.

The sought-after engine for the Avenger/Sunbeam was the 1800 Brazilian block with Ti cam and head. Nowadays, I'd just stick a 2L Zetec engine and blower in there.

One of the most individual lumps to be fitted to a Sunbeam was a one-off V8 made from two 1.0L ohc (Imp-derived) Sunbeam engines. Bloke cast a new block and made a crank. Lovely little engine that was.

From the earliest days of the Avenger it was obvious the chassis and suspension could cope with much more power than the factory put in it. It was an easily accessible design for the fleet market (easy and cheap to service) and a direct competitor to the Escort. When the car became the Sunbeam by dint of new panels, the floorpan retained the original good handling characteristics.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You want to tell PeteM He doesn't seem to rate it compared to the Mk2 Escort. But then he is a ford man.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I've changed my mind. I'll hae this one.

NeedforSwede2

mmm. Pity about the photos though - couldn't he be bothered to drive it outside to get some light?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

A mate of mine is putting a 2.0 8v Vauxhall lump in his Sunbeam. Even that should be pretty good, and relatively cheap!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Twin Strombergs ISTR; my dad had a GT :)

Reply to
Abo

Apparently they did a 3.0 V6 prototype which was shelved mainly because of low speed overheating and maintenance issues. Hillman reported a top speed of almost 150mph...

Reply to
Abo

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember NeedforSwede2 saying something like:

That would be good.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Pete M" saying something like:

I came across a Sunbeam with an Essex lump in. Too bloody heavy, though. A nice alloy blocked TC lump would be just the thing. Or the mentioned RV8, but a 'modern' one of 4+litres.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon