lowering my tyre pressures???

Yep - the profile is meaningless without taking into account the width. 35 profile on a 305mm tyre, certainly isn't skinny :)

Reply to
Nom

Sounds like a fine idea to me. You're in no hurry whatsoever when you're being paid to drive for someone else, so the drivers won't mind being limited.

The journey-times will increase, for which the company will have to pick up the cost and/or hire more drivers.

As a driver for said company, you'll end up with less work to do (because it'll take longer), and you'll be more relaxed whilst doing so.

Top scheme I think :)

Being a driver for said company, what are your thoughts ?

Reply to
Nom

So they're ENCOURAGING their drivers to drive with tyres as bald as legally possible ? Er ?

I thought the points go onto the license of the company's MD, as he is effectively the owner of said vehicles ? Meaning he has a VERY good incentive to keep accurate driver-of-vehicle records.

Is that not the case ?

I rekon it's a good idea. It'll certainly save you from getting a speeding ticket, whilst at work ! Getting one in your own time is one thing, but getting one whilst you're driving for *someone* *else* is quite another !

Reply to
Nom

in news: snipped-for-privacy@sssssssssssizefitter.com, Johannes H Andersen slurred :

No, but very similar :P

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Company Secretary, and only if due diligence for helping identify the driver can be shown as not being done.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

susspension

Or come and have a ride in my Vectra SRi with it's optional 19" alloys.

Corners well and looks great. Tramlines like a devil though!

Reply to
topcat11uk

More like a reaction to the jerks driving.

Reply to
James Dore

Well, the routing system we have gives a driver 6 minutes to make a delivery, the system can route up to 6 drops in an hour, giving the driver an average of 4 minutes to get between drops. In reality a delivery takes anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes, there are a lot of factors involved in how long it takes, mostly outwith the driver's control. The only opportunity to make time back is caning the f*ck out of the van.

Given that probably 90% of my department's mileage is on 30mph limited urban roads it probably isn't going to make all that much of a difference to us.

If the driver is late, the customer gets £10. The driver then has to justify why he was late. If the only way to keep to the routing schedule was to speed on a single carrigeway, it's not going to keep the drivers particularly relaxed.

Heh, interesting theory.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Thats the way it looks to me. I understand where it is coming from and perhaps I have misunderstood the rules, but it doesn't sound too encouraging.

Hmm, dunno. My department keeps quite good records, if I got done, I'm pretty sure the company would hand my info over.

Heh, but it won't stop me getting a ticket, as it is still possible for me to theoretically drive on the 60mph limiter in a 20mph zone, on the kerb, past a school where all the diabetic pygmy albino black children are playing! This is why I think the 60mph limit is a bit silly.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

What good does it do just turning them around?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

When you pay peanuts...

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You get Douglas?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

True enough :-) - and that email about tyre wear is just crackers. Almost worth an accidental forward to the HSE....

laters,

Reply to
James Dore

Depending on the type of driving, in reality it should make next to bugger all difference. I'm a multidrop owner driver (subcontractor), and sticking to speed limits or not makes *very* little difference to the time it takes to do my deliveries. What *does* make a difference is planning the round (and loading the van accordingly) to take into account residential areas full of commuters that are often gone by 7:30-8am, shops that don't open until 9:30am (and the staff don't roll in 'til a couple of minutes before opening), businesses that do have people there nice and early, traffic jams, etc etc.

If I've planned it properly (which I do, because the quicker I get it done the longer lunch break I get), then I'll be stopping every minute or two anyway, and speeding will barely make a blind bit of difference to the time it takes.

OTOH, Douglas does deliveries about 500 miles the other side of the arse end of nowhere, so it might be different for him!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I might actually be better off if I did get paid in peanuts.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

True, but at the end of the day the legal limit was set at 1.6mm for a reason - if they didn't think it was safe to have that as a limit, they'd have set it higher. Granted, the more tread, the more grip in the wet due to better displacement of water, but at the end of the day they've decided a limit, and that's that, otherwise I'll just start repeating myself and going around in circles.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Not many blowouts 2psi under at 40mph, no :)

Tyre life will suffer though.

Alistair J Murray
[...]

I just have skinny little 265s :(

Alistair J Murray

Well if the tyres dip below the legal limit, there is a big difference in wet weather performance. Up until that point, as far as I know tyres grip just fine, wet or dry.

My current ones didn't grip properly for the first 100 miles or possibly more.

Is there any benefit to early replacement?

Reply to
Questions

Isn't that a contradiction in terms ?

:)