MGFs...

Depends how you define class really, doesnt it?

...and they're both cars that a lot of women find attractive

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

AVOID!

Not that I feel strongly about them, you understand, but having had a brand new one which went through one roof (and the new one was showing signs of breaking Real Soon Now), 2 door trims, and one spine (mine, due to the god-awful seating position), plus sounded like a gearbox would be needed soon at only 33,000 miles.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

That's just plaine /wrong/ for /so many/ reasons

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Puma. Front drive, jiggly ride. MX5. Cramped. Jiggly ride.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

*cough* You're jaundiced. Both are lovely little drives.
Reply to
DervMan

But they're not in the same class.

See above, as it's all true - no-one could ever deny that a Puma is a Fiesta in drag, in the same way that it's abundantly clear that an MX-5 is a little RWD sportscar.

I like MX5s. Getting tempted to buy one now you can get classic insurance on an early example.

Reply to
SteveH

maybe this will help

Tim S Kemp

It's the diesel particulates.

Reply to
SteveH

What, from the 1.3 petrol Endura-E?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It's done a good few thou miles now, so it'll be smoking like a good 'un ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Heh, I thought you'd like it :)

Reply to
Nom

Why on earth not ?

Both cheap, small sports cars. Both broadly similar power and price. Both renowned for being an excellent drive.

One is FWD, one is RWD. That's the only major difference - and clearly has no effect on the car's class. The 1-series doesn't cease to compete with all the other small hatches, simply cos of it's drivetrain ! Neither do BMWs and Mercs cease to compete with Audi etc.

Eh ?

One's a lovely little RWD sportscar, one's a lovely little FWD sportscar. Fiesta-in-drag doesn't lower it's capabilities one jot - it doesn't matter what's underneath, cos it's the final result that counts.

Reply to
Nom

Why not ?

Nobody is trying to deny it !

We didn't bring it up, cos it has no relevance to anything. It would be foolhardy to discount the Jag X-Type from comparison with an Audi A4, simply cos it's a Mondeo underneath. That fact is neither here nor there.

So why is it unclear that the Puma is a little FWD sportscar ? I'm failing to see the difference here :)

Reply to
Nom

See that vinyl stuff on the roof. That's the difference. The Puma is little more than a hot hatch.

Reply to
SteveH

And the final result is that you're comparing a tin top to a rag top.

A FWD tin top to a RWD rag-top at that.

Reply to
SteveH

Her other dream car is a lexus RX330 or an X5. I guess it balances my dreams for McLarens and Dodge Chargers.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

And how is the MX-5 sold? That was sold as a hot hatch alternative.

Reply to
DervMan

What? They're sporty little cars. That one's FWD and one is RWD won't matter to many owners. That the Puma handles so well and is FWD will matter to others.

You know, you're so keen on pointing out that the Puma uses Fiesta running gear, but it's not relevant.

The MX-5 owner at our office bought it because "it's a nice blue colour" and "it looks so cute." She says "it's a bit scary in the snow" so perhaps I should ask her if she bought it because of near 50:50 weight distribution and rear wheel drive?

I like them too. But if I were in the market for a sporty little car that had to have more than a nod towards being used for ordinary everyday stuff, both would feature. There's little difference for insurance purposes, the Puma has a bigger boot and that 1.7 Zetec-SE is exceptionally good.

What they are is dictated by what the customer wants, not what a bunch of geeks say on t'internet!

Reply to
DervMan

You're right, why would people want a RWD without a roof in this climate?

Reply to
DervMan

Because I'll get to drive it too :)

Reply to