MK3 Golf VR6: What does everyone reckon?

Car magazine summed up the first Golf VR6 by printing a picture of a Lemon on a plain white background, IIRC.

Highlights, aside from astonishing understeer, were a tendency to punch holes in the sump and rather poor build quality overall...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

well bend me over spank my ass and call me charlie i didn't know that!

Reply to
Vamp

Only if you like cheap shit interiors ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH calls someone else a 'weirdo' pot kettle and black SteveH :)

Reply to
Vamp

Well, at least I've done something different, rather than buy the stereotype 'chavtastic' E36 Coupe......

Reply to
SteveH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, Vamp wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

I thought it was a 12 degree V.

One head on a V engine is weird though.

Reply to
Pete M

Pah, 13 mpg from a 1.0 Yaris is my best result.. although I average between

29 and 40 from the 155....
Reply to
Pete M

Though close behind would be 17mpg from a 406 HDI, IIRC....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's because it's not a V it's a staggered inline 6

ThePunisher

Yup, I know that but for it to be classed by most as a "V", and for it to sound unlike an inline 6, and.... oh, buggrit

Reply to
Pete M

Um, if it was a 'staggered inline', then there wouldn't be an angle between 'banks'..... also, an inline engine would have either a SOHC operating both inlet and outlet valves, or a DOHC - one for inlet, one for outlet.

In the case of a VR6, ISTR it's SOHC per 'bank' - so there's one cam operating both sets of valves on one 'bank', with another on the other 'bank', IYSWIM.

I think that about sums it up.

Reply to
SteveH

bah jealous :)

Reply to
Vamp

How many 'banks' does the VR6 engine have?

The VR6 is a DOHC engine, one for inlet, one for outlet.

Reply to
ThePunisher

That'll be the one cobbled together by bored Brummies, then.

Somehow can't see it being the best 6 potter out there ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

No, it was made in Coventry. Not only a great straight six engine, but easy to work on and very durable. Good for 300K miles or more without major fettling. Also ideal for modding, since it's normally completely unstressed. Add an Eaton supercharger for more fun.

Pah, better than something made by blokes who are all pissed after mid day.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not all. The Prius I used in California was better in the city compared to the highway.

Reply to
DervMan

I think it's been done to death, but for what it's worth - lovely engine in need of a better home.

Reply to
DervMan

Hopefully that will let me get one cheap. Although Golfs, even MK3's appear to have something of a following.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I took a good long hard look at a mark three Golf GTI 16V before buying the Honda. It looked in good condition, not perfect. Unfortunately, it was finished in white and had the most awful three spoke alloys that needed condemning.

White is so not the colour.

If it were in a blue or purple Charlie would have been persuaded, though. :)

Reply to
DervMan