More breaks

Yup. I got my last lot of DOT 5.1 from Halfords of all places - it was only £8 per litre !

Reply to
Nom

Standard.

Their performance pads are :

Greenstuff, for slow and/or light cars. Redstuff for heavy and/or quick cars. Yellowstuff for track use. Bluestuff for endurance track use.

I've always had excellent results from Green and Red.

Reply to
Nom

Poppycock.

Green (on a 2.0 8v 125bhp Pug 405) and Red (on a 2.0 16v Turbo Rover 620 TI with a smidgeon more than 200bhp) work just fine.

Reply to
Nom

i think its dot 5 standard??

Reply to
Cheater2k

?????????????????

Reply to
Cheater2k

He's right you know.

Reply to
Jamesy

Errm, V8 sierra built from a 1.6.

"Nitrous injected V8 Rover (P6) engined Ford Sierra that was my daily runabout for 6 years"

"And best of all Adrian Flux (custom car insurance) quoted me £10 LESS than I was paying as a standard 1.6L model!"

Reply to
James Grabowski

like a V8 in a sierra?

Reply to
Theo

Yes because the engine and box were bluprinted standard test motor given to champion plugs to allow them to develop and test plugs for the production cars and it was used in a test stand only for 40 hours! Better than new for SEVENTY FIVE QUID! And it was converted in two days, and the old engine that I took out paid for the recon gearbox etc. Total cost almost nothing, and this was for a slightly more serious conversion... And HOME BUILT nitrous system... £?? (prolly 50 quid) And I kept the stock 1.6 brakes....

See above...

Exactly. For a big custom job they are cheap! For a tarted up boy racer job they are EXPENSIVE Adrian Flux started as a bunch of Custom cars (V8 Ford pops/drag cars etc) nuts, that wanted to subsidise seriously modded cars. They charge NORMAL car owners a few percent more, boy racers (Front drive stuff with tarting up bits from alfords tacked on) loads, and therefore get the prices down for their own types of heavily modded custom cars.

Reply to
Burgerman

No, actually that (which was done properly) increased the value. I sold it for FAR more than the car cost me, plus had years of fun! Its like doing up a house. Some things are desirable. Some things are naff. Like the "STONE CLADDING" on coro...

Reply to
Burgerman

Will a V6 master cylinder happilly operate the rear drums without messing up brake biases?

-- James

Reply to
James

The pad material has nothing to do with the performance and weight of a car.

This performance of a car has no bearing on the pad material for one simple reason. FAST CARS HAVE BRAKES SUITED TO FAST CARS.

This size and weight of the car have no bearing on the pad material for another simple reason. BIG HEAVY CARS HAVE BRAKES SUITED TO BIG HEAVY CARS.

Larger engined versions of the same car come with larger brakes than smaller engined models due to the greater performance and weight of the car. If you don't believe this check parts lists.

-- James

Reply to
James

I should really have put a :) on the end

Reply to
James Grabowski

Dont worry the whole subject is very T.I.C.!

Reply to
Burgerman

"James Grabowski" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk...

My younger brothers kids car was outside in the street, so I went and looked at his brakes - he tells me that they are crap.. 17 inch wheels on a Micra

1.3 I think. They all look the same to me.. I had to look twice to even SEE the brakes! Earlier I mentioned moped brakes? Like on the Aprillia 50 that he had before. Well these REALLY ARE the same sort of size! And worse instead of floating multi piston bike type calipers/disks they are just bits of iron with tiny single piston sliding calipers! He is "really proud" of the fact that he wore out two sets of brake pads in a year and the disks are worn too... These things have JUST enough brakes to stop from about 50 under some sort of control. And they look plain silly with bigger wheels on! It just shows the world that its a "basic" trolly. The whole car is "minimalist" on suspension, wheels, brakes, gear ratios, clutch size, in fact EVERYTHING. Only one advantage, weight I suppose. It is only suited to my mum to go to the shops in town. No wonder it was cheap. He has done all the usual embarrassing silly mods, wing on the rear (badly fitted) and filled in the bit of back door where the plate goes and stuck this below the bumper. Looks bloody silly! Like the car designer "forgot about it" untill later, filled the front grills and vents with cheap aluminium plate from B&Qs (badly). Looks like a christmas tree from the outside with a HUGE tailpipe that does nothing other than annoy anyone inside and out. Certainly looks daft on this car! and blue lights and window washer things. (that dont work properly now!)

This has cost him a fortune to completely c*ck up a perfectly good grocery getter so now its resale value is about half. And its slower and embarassing to boot.

And he keeps asking me about tuning and fitting nitrous... But he cant change a wheel bearing... And has not a clue. Looks like he gets his wages every week and goes down to Halfords to see what other stick on tat he can get!

Reply to
Burgerman

No idea. But if it does mess up the bias, then you just need to adjust the valve.

Reply to
Nom

Of course it does ! Have you gone mad ?

For example, Yellowstuff pads only work when very hot. If you've got a very light car, or a very slow car, then you can't get enough heat into them to make them work properly. Hence they will ONLY work properly on a heavy and/or quick car.

Greenstuff pads are very soft, and are the opposite to Yellowstuff. If you fit them to a heavy car, they will wear out VERY quickly. I used to get about 6000 miles from a set, in my old Pug 405. They will also begin to fade at much lower temperatures than the Yellowstuff - temperatures that are easily reached in a quick and/or heavy car.

Exactly !

So if you go and fit brakes suitable for slow cars (like a set of EBC Greenstuff) then they aren't gonna work properly !

Exactly !

So if you go and fit brakes suitable for light cars (like a set of EBC Greenstuff) then they aren't gonna work properly !

Yes, we're well aware of that.

Some pad materials (like Greenstuff) are NOT suitable for quick/heavy cars. Some pad materials (like Yellowstuff) are NOT suitable for slow/light cars.

What exactly is your point ?

Reply to
Nom

And fast road pads have fast road material to suit fast road car's brakes

And big heavy pads have big heavy material suited to big heavy car's brakes

Well spotted Miss Marple

Now go find out what material Porsche uses for their brake pads in the 911 Turbo out of the factory, then go to Ford and find out what a Ka uses. Then come back and tell us what you find out.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I suggest that you check your facts. My insurance went up nothing with a brake upgrade, if i brought the car they came from, its 7 groups higher and my insurance would probably double. It cost me £20 for the brakes, so i see no logic in what you are saying.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

heh well Ive just bought a cfi 3.5 V8 and I am planning on putting it in a 3 door sierra, what do you reckon?

Reply to
Theo